RCU Forums - View Single Post - Official Dark Impact Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 11:25 AM
BitHed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Dark Impact Thread

...I will maybe race with it but i bash ALOT...I have an E-ZILLA and a MinFerno ST and wanted something in between...I wouldnt have gotten it I didnt believe it would bash with the best of them

...Ground clearence will be between about 2.5-3cm...Sorry im metric

...The 'pinned' tires are super grippy and strong...Sidewalls are stiff and the inner foams are the 'compressed' foam as opposed to the typical 'fluffy' foam....You know what I mean...These tires were a major factor in my getting this kit...They are just too goo to pass up...

...Bearings arent gluggy at all and roll nicely...I added a shot of my favourite lightweight bearing oil just to free them up a little more...

...IMPORTANT!! If you can, when you get this kit go ahead and et a pack of TAMIYA Flourine pivot balls...Slightly lighter than stock and the flourine gives you a MUCH better ride...Maybe 6-10 USD a pack depending on your seller...The stock balls work but why bother? Upgrade right from the start [8D]

...Shocks are the usual TAMIYA fare...3 pistons provided...1 hole, 2 hole, 3 hole...STOCK OIL IS 900 WEIGHT...TAMIYA lists that in the MIDDLE of their HARD series...800 (pink), 900 (clear) and 1000 (light blue)...I went with a much lighter 300 (orange) and the 2 hole pistons that i will use with stock springs until harder springs come out...I prefer a lighter oil with a harder spring to let the car 'float'...Stock springs are typical TAMIYA...

...You would also do well with a pack of 8-10 SOFT WEIGHT O-rings for the shox...TAMIYA stock are cheap and nasty and hard so get some 30 or 40 weight softer ones, smear with AE Green Slime and insert [8D] A MUCH better ride...

WEIRD!! The REAR lower hinge pins have 2.5mm worth of forward / back play in them...I added 2.5mm worth of shim to the rear of each pin...The rear bumper fits between the pins so no problems with anything hitting...I have no idea why there is THAT much left-over pin...

...INTERESTING!! There is NO way to get a regular heat sink on the motor...It slides into a gap just in front of the rear gear box / diff and is covered by a weird plastic 'lid' with elongated holes in it...Heat build up could become a problem...

...COMPLAINT!! As sexy as this buggy is and even though it comes with all these 'trickle-down' improvements TAMIYA is STILL too cheap to provide us with adjustable turnbuckles right from the start [>:] The threaded shafts are right hand threads on BOTH ends, making them essentially non-adjustable while attached to the car...No doubt the adjustables will be out soon but come on TAMIYA...Raise the bar a little why doncha...

...The linkage from the steering servo mounted rear right to the steering rack is RIDICULOUSLY long...14.3 cm from balcup to ballcup!! lol...Oh well...Servo saver is regular TAMIYA but you could probably go well upgrading to a KIMSBROUGH...

...Body is very low-profile, very unlike the Rising Storm and recent other TAMIYA buggies...The REAR shock tower is actually quite in the way of the rear spoiler...Another unusual design aspect...

...There are 4 metal bushings in the steering raack whch i havent assembled yet...I will try to replace them with bearings...Unfortunately TAMIYA GP rules require me to stay 100% stock or i cant run...Yeah right [>:]