RCU Forums - View Single Post - C160 transall build
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Newalan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C160 transall build

Hi,

I was reading the post regarding Rudder throw. I disagree that a lot of ruuder throw will solve the problem in fact it will add another problem during take off should you have to correct the ground roll using rudder.

Also large deflection of rudder induces massive drag and on flat bottom wing with dihedral it will cuase the plane to roll in the direction of rudder input. Rudder input would be handy if the wing form was semi or fully simetrical section. in which case the rudder should make the plane yaw.

I am just building a C160 and the only thing I am going to be concerned with is to make sure that both engines are reliable and perform well. In other words dont try to save money by buying cheap engines or used ones or use one new one and other used.

In the case of one engine out I think the only thing that will save the plane is having enough height to reduce the thrust to minimal or tick over even better if you come in dead stick.

A gyro will not save the situation either, it will however buy you time to implement the above. I have had twin Mosquito loose an engine on me and the plane goes straight into a spin, I did have plenty of height around 300 feet and managed to cut the throttle and by the time it settled down it must have been only 20 feet from the ground and it crashed landed with only some damage.

In the full size aircraft it is different because the pilot can instantly feel/see which engine is out and correct it straight away. with a model you are relying on eye sight and hope that you have guessed right as to which engine is dead, It happens supper fast.