RCU Forums - View Single Post - do you really need a computer radio????
Old 04-26-2006, 09:31 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: do you really need a computer radio????

Agreed, you dont NEED a computer radio. Certainly not with a trainer.

However,, if you stick with the hobby you will want one and if you get really serious which can happen faster than you think, take it from me, you will need one eventually. I have been at this for just over 3 years and I have my share of wood on the mantle and in the trash can. Much of my success I would not have had without a good computer radio to deal with what a good mechanical setup cannot correct.
But you can only trim out a plane so much and then you have to mix out the design flaws.

If you have the self discipline to leave the subtrims and atv's alone on your 1st plane and learn to setup a plane mechanically and with good geometry you will be miles ahead when you progress to a plane that truly requires precise setup and a computer radio can be a good investment if you have the $$.. Even then its best to only use a comp transmitter to tune/mix out that last little bit that you just cant quite get mechanically.

There is a lot to be said for what Chuck, Ken and Campy and Minn have expressed.... All are 100% correct. And they do make a really good point. If you think you will be serious, and you find that you have some skill, its entirely possible that you may be instructing new pilots in less than a year. So buying the basic 4 channel can be handy for when you are ready to instruct and need a good buddy box. I gave my 1st transmitter, an airtronics 4 channel to a friend. Now I just use the clubs "house" buddy boxes. It would be handy to have one of my own to teach with.