RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 09:48 PM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build

Alright, after many months, I have finally finished building my BTE Flyin' King. All I have to do is set control throws and it'll be ready to fly. Hopefully I will maiden her tomorrow morning. This means that I can finally start on my Chipmunk. Yay!

Since I am doing this thread in the hopes that it may prove useful to others, I am going to go through and list everything I am installing into the plane. Radio equipment, engine, pushrods etc. I've already posted one list, but I've changed it somewhat, so I'll delete that post and put everything here. I will also include links to all the products so that they are easy to find. In most cases it will be where I purchased the item from, but this will not hold true for all items. Frankly, I don't remember where I got some of it.

Saito 1.00
Slimline Inverted Pitts Muffler without smoke. I ordered this item from Tower, but it seems they have stopped carrying almost anything that even remotely relates to Saito and JR.
Saito Velocity Stack. It can supposedly reduce fuel consumption by about 30%.
Hangar 9 Remote Glow Plug Adapter. Cowled, inverted motor - need I say more?
Hangar 9 Fuel Dots.
Hayes Slimline 12oz. fuel tank. This should fit over the CG, but if it doesn't I'll either go down to a 10oz or find another fuel tank.
JR R790 synthesized 7 channel receiver. My JR 9303 has a synthesized transmitter module thingee on it, so I can literally fly my Chipmunk on any channel I choose.
4x JR DS821 Standard Digital Servos. These are strong and fast servos for only about $30 each. One on each aileron, one on the rudder and one on the elevator.
1x JR DS285 Micro Digital Servo. This is tiny, lightweight and quick - perfect for the throttle.
Sullivan Composite 2-56 pushrods. Just need one of these for the throttle. The composite material won't shrink or expand with the weather. Nylon does, and it does it enough to where your trim settings can be thrown way off, which is bad news on the throttle.
Central Hobbies Carbon Fiber pushrod set with 2-56 titanium ends. These are for the ailerons.
Central Hobbies Duel Elevator Pushrod system. Maybe a bit overkill for a sport size plane, but oh well.
Robart Super Ball Link Control Horns, 3/4". These are for the elevator halves and the ailerons.
Dubro Heavy Duty Dual Control Horn System, .40-.91. This is for the rudder.
Don's Hobby Shop Kevlar Pull-Pull system, 10lbs.. Click on accessories and it should pop up.
Iron Bay Fuel Regulator. I can put the fuel tank whereever I want it.
Robart 1/8" Hinge Point Combo. This pack comes with a bunch of hinges and their drill guide.
Fromeco Relion Li-Ion 2400mah receiver batteries. Only 3.5oz and more power than a NiCd or NiMH. I'm all in.
Maxx Products Inc. Miracle Switch, 6v regulated. This will bring the voltage of the 7.2v Li-Ion pack down to 6v. This switch will also fail in the "on" position, which is much better than a switch that fails and simply stops working. [8D]
3" Kavan tires. 1.8oz for a pair of 3" tires is hot.
Hangar 9 multi load voltage tester or Fromeco 8-Ball. I haven't decided yet. Not really part of the plane, but since I don't have a tester suitable for Li-Ion, I thought I'd go ahead and mention it.
Tru-Turn 2-1/4" aluminum spinner. I'll have this cut for up to a 15x7 APC propeller.

Ok, I think that's the major stuff. I use mostly aliphatic glue for my building. In fact I'm trying to completely phase out my usage of CA completely. I hate the fumes, I hate the mess and it only allows me to make mistakes a whole lot faster. Also, I feel that a good aliphatic provides a better bond than CA. It's not as rigid or brittle, and I've seen CA turn into a powdery white stuff after a few years. I've been using Titebond II, but I might try some Deluxe Materials Super Phatic. What I'd really like is something easier to sand that wicks a bit better. The Titebond seems a bit thick, but it works well nonetheless.