RCU Forums - View Single Post - Desert Aircraft - Super!!
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 11:23 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Desert Aircraft - Super!!

ORIGINAL: Cobra1

John Murdock, - funny but to the point. I am like others - where is the 75cc that has been in the works for years it seems?-
Let me give you my take on that.. And it's just that -- "MY TAKE!"

I believe that prior to the 50 coming out, they gave the prototypes to qualified sponsored pilots who in turn tested them. And.. I'm sure there was some reconfiguration and re-engineering after all the testing was performed. Even after all the testing, when they decided to release the 50, there were a few issues that appeared. One, the rod/pin issue and secondly, the carb block issue. It was only when they released it to us dumb, up and coming, new to gas engines kind of folk, did "WE" really put it to the test. I can imagine all the idiots, moving up from glow, including myself, that didn't know a thing about gas engines. Twisting, tweaking, turning all kinds of things. Running rich, running lean etc. So the 50 was essentially the first step up from glow engines that we "tested" to the max.

Here's what they did when the problems arose. All 50's returned to DA for any reason got a new rod/pin, period! I originally sent mine in for a broken motor mount tab. The sent it back with a new case and the new rod/pin. A few months later, I had a bad ignition and sent it in again. They replaced the ignition and guess what, that replaced the rod/pin again. Lastly, I sent it in for a faulty sensor or something like that. Guess what? They replaced the rod/pin again. I even told them that they'd replaced the rod/pin on several occasions, but my understanding was whenever a 50 rolled through their shop, it was standard practice to replace the rod/pin assembly.... no matter what, even if had been replaced before.

Here's a company that took a giant hit. However, they stepped up to the plate and did everything in their power to rectify the issues, often, many times over.

With that being said, I'm equally sure when DA finally releases the 75-80 class motor, it will be as "Golden" as the rest of their products. No matter how much is put into prototypes, it's only truly tested when they release it to us idiots and thrill seekers. Give them the time needed to create an engine that will ultimately be exactly what "we" want in a motor.

Again, this is only my take on the issue. But, I think, a take that make sense.