RCU Forums - View Single Post - European Championships
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: European Championships

Tim,

I disagree with you there that IC engines will die. I seriously doubt that electrics will ever dominate, I think that they have come a long way solely because of coolness factor, but I think you'll be surprised at the number of people switching back. Electrics fly pretty nice in the calm, I'll give them that, however I know for a fact that I won't switch. I've had several flyers (high placing FAI pilots at that) remark that my little dinky two stroke setup is more locked in than their electric setups are. Not to mention the fact that it's cheaper initially and in the long run. I see myself switching over to YS when the 1.70's are released to the mere mortals, however I don't think that electric is the cure all for everyone.

I know for a fact that it isn't any quieter than glow, it's every bit as noisy in the air, maybe moreso and anyone that was at the Nats can attest to that. Electrics fly slower, so that's going to be an automatic hinderance in the wind; again prevalent at the Nats. The motors and speed controllers are as expensive as a glow motor setup, not to mention the fact that I can fly a solid day of practice on an $18.00 a gallon jug of fuel. To fly electrics at all, much less with any consistency, you'll need two battery pack sets, which are more expensive than a 55 gal drum of glow fuel. Electrics are not any less burdensome maintainance wise, a good friend of mine went through three motors and speed controllers at the Nats, and hurt his flight scores, I would imagine he would have made it into the finals had he not had motor issues.

Some may call me a sour puss, but I just can't see enough redeeming qualities in electric to convince me to switch- even if the stuff was given to me. Just my humble opinion, I am but a mere Intermediate flyer. To each his own, I certainly won't chastise anyone for their choice of powerplant, but those are my observations.