RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch building 105" WS S Connie L-1049 (Pics added)
Old 09-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Scratch building 105" W/S Super connie L-1049 G

Hi Guys,

I want to upload more initial and current pictures but coulden't as i am using public library's PC these ays to log into internet. I will add more pictures once my Home PC is up and running.

This past weekend we had annual KW Dutchmen scale rally at rod and guns club in Kitchener, Ontario, i took my Connie there for display and for the first time i assembled it fully, i was astonished to see how awsome and super did it looked fully assembled, even though its just a core but whole profile is there representing the aircraft and graceful lines of the L1049G. I met there with couple of guys who actually worked on our CF-TGE AC# 405 when it was in service with TCA, one fellow mentioned he has original drawings for the Connie but refused to help but other person was very much helpful and provided me with some valuable info on the Connie, now my enthusium is overwhelming.

I know many people took the pictures there but i coulden't do due to lack of DC Camara!...No bigge i am sure someone will post picture from there on this thread. Jim sorry i diden't mentioned anything to you while we were there about your post above, well now you know why, i am just checking it now.

Somebody asked Mike on RCC about cutting out spar slots and alinging engine bay area, well its was complicated process as mentioned breifly in my last post, we both have to make an open box in which i slided the whole center wing section, Mike made another drawing on CAD which showed all the outlines for the spots of spars and engine bays to be cut out from which was glued ont he base of the box, once wing was placed and centered and squaired, we started cutting the foam by making hole in the engine bay to get hot wire in, then i was at the top controlling the wire and Mike was working the bottom, it was 2 man process. It took whole evening to cut 3 spar slots and 2 engine bays out, now i still have to make spars from solid OAK and glue them in the slots, i haven't got chance yet to do it. I am using 1/8" thick OAK for both front and center main spars and 1/4" balsa to make rear spar.

Mississauga News's News reporter found out about my Connie project and want to have interview with me tommarow, this will be in the paper next week, so all will be able to see it at www.Mississauganews.com

EC121Connie, yes i still ike to have pictures for the main gear bays, will be commencing on building engine necelles and landing gear bays very soon.

Wegier-r,

I will definately ask you for the info as i progress witht his project, there will be times when i will need information key area's of current flying Connies, i was hoping for someone from one of the current flying Connie associations would see this thread and offer there part with my project. Your drawing of the landing gears are very good, now i can have my friend Peter to print off the nose wheel drawing and get the scale nose strut made customly by Behotic Retracts.

Currently to best of my knowledge there are none 1/14th scale Connie models around, unless there are some out there that i haven't seen or heard about yet. I am also thinking on lines to turn this core into plug and make moulds from it, then this way i can produce many copies of fiberglass kit in this scale and size as, if somebody is interested do let me know soon before i end up doing this as one of model.

Sammy