RCU Forums - View Single Post - 120AX with 0% Nitro
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 12:09 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 120AX with 0% Nitro

ORIGINAL: downunder

The other day I had an MDS 78 (with a 4 stroke plug) idling at 1400 with a 14x6 prop on zero nitro without cheating by using the glow driver. That was about it's limit though and with another hundred or so revs it was dead reliable when slamming the throttle open. My son gets a very low idle with his SC 120 too but I haven't tached it yet.

-------------

We need more posts like yours and others that tell of their low nitro experiences.

It is easy to join a club as a newbie and then to do what the others do. That is how we learn. However, if one is a sport flyer with no interest in hovering or unlimited vertical, it is a waste of money and needlessly shortening an engine's useful life to run 15% or more nitro. I'm talking in terms of a global "We". In the US, presently there isn't a whole lot of difference in the price of fuel with varying amounts of nitro. Elsewhere in the world, it is the way it used to be here. Even a little nitro (5%) can be quite expensive.

And for the record, I have several cases of 5% nitro, 15% nitro and one case of 30% nitro in the garage. So I'm not a teetotaler when it comes to nitro myself. I would have some FAI (0% nitro), but no one carries it locally. Besides, I confess to liking 5% nitro the best.