RCU Forums - View Single Post - I just don't get it!
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 11:55 AM
radray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I just don't get it!

"Their scoring program wont let you enter a 0 for one judge and not the other."

What if the pilot exceeds 10 points in downgrades instead of a mandatory zero manuever? One judge may observe different downgrades than another judge, and therefore yield two different scores with one being a zero and not the other.

For large contests such as the Nats it might be a good idea to have a zero judge, but may be impractical at a local contest. Recently I witnessed a contest where a contestant did not perform a half roll in one maneuver, then performed an addtitional half roll in the next manuever and the error was not caught in either maneuver by very seasoned experienced judges. It is easy to get caught up in the smoothness and geometry of a pattern, that you might lose sight of the technical elements of the maneuver (inside vs outside roll in a rolling circle or was there a defined hesitation in that point roll). Perhaps it might be a good idea if an individual (probably not flying in the contest) could observe just the technical elements and free the judges to concentrate on the detailed subjective scoring of the maneuver.