RCU Forums - View Single Post - I just don't get it!
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Pattern_is_Fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I just don't get it!

Hey Mike,

I'm just checking back in here, and not meaning to single out your response, but I will give my opinion on your comments:

You state... Can't you just see a player in a baseball game, after being given a home run on a ball that actually went outside the foul pole walking up to the umpire and saying "excuse me ump, I have to be honest. That was a foul ball not a home run."

--- you miss the point, the 'call', fair or foul, is like saying, was that a snap or not.. and we don't question these decisions. However, if you flew an outside loop and the maneuver called for an inside loop, would you want to be scored on it? There are examples above of similar things. If your answer is' "yes, I would take the score the judge gave me", then why try to fly precision pattern?

You state: Pattern is a sport.
--- let's be more precise - it's a sport of precision, we all try to fly 10's, keep the "Z" distance, flow, stay in the box, ... and when we make a gross error, and it's not caught by the judges, do you want to take the score? If your answer is yes, you should re-evaluate what you are trying to do. Fool the judges? Take a trophy from someone who did it correct - and you did not. A hollow victory at best I think,

You state: I am a church going guy too and all about honesty, not that is has anything to do with pattern flying
--- so the next time you fly a the wrong maneuver, tell the judges. It actually has a lot to do with pattern, and life. Want to get away with a score you don't deserve, fine with me, but I would not respect you much for doing it. (not that you would care what I think, but I wonder what your friends think!)

You state: not everyone is going to be honest, so just do the best you can, let the judges do the best they can and let the chips fall. Good calls and bad calls are just part of sports.
--- I don't think you get it, we can make the sport better, make the judges better, and as an end result, make our flying better. If these things are not of interest to you, fine. They are not of interest to many. Are you saying, "not everyone is going to be honest" .. so I don't have to either?

Scott

Mike East
AMA793948
NSRCA3662
Moderator: 3D, IMAC and Pattern Forums.