RCU Forums - View Single Post - SPA Antique Class...
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 04:26 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SPA Antique Class...

ORIGINAL: somiss1

I, for one, would love to see an Antique Pattern event in SPA. Just think of the possibilities, Flattop Stormers, Taurus', Orions, Pegasus', Crusader's and Astro Hogs! Baffled engines wouldn't be required, modern .40 engines would fly those airplanes just fine. I watched Jim Kirkland fly his Orion (first R/C airplane I ever saw) and his Flattop Top Stormer on K&B .45's with no muffler, just a carb and an exhaust throttle and they flew quite well, thank you. (Of course, Jim was kinda good, too!).
Hell, one of these days, I'm going to build a rudder only airplane, again, and try that. How much do you want to bet that I crash?
Frank

----------------

As you probably know, trimming a single channel airplane is the toughest part. Flying is only 50% of the equation. I learned a lot while flying my first two Testors Skyhawk RTF models, but the trimming was done at the factory - thank God!

You met Jim Kirkland. Wow! He was my "hero" in the model mags. I was depressed for a month when I learned of his passing. I was all of 21 or 22 years old then.

Some of the seniors writing about SPA competition flying sound just like they did back in their younger days. The fire gets lit and off they go - having fun. The problem is that folks reading their comments probably become intimidated at the idea of flying against these folks. I know I do.

Antique Pattern (pardon me screwing up the titles - I'm excited) could be a refuge for those that, while they want to win, their emphasis would be upon the fact of participation and not so much who goes home with a first place trophy, if you know what I mean?

I'm not trying to undercut the other organisation that was named. I'm ignorant of its existence and hope to change that quickly. I have heard of SPA contests being held within reasonable driving distance of my location. Not so with the other organization. Probably just my ignorance.