RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 06:53 PM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build

Nice model Donkey!

Alright, an update. Still no pictures to post.

I finished all the sheeting and installed both servo mounts.

Just as I thought, the wing required A LOT of sanding and filling to even out. Enough that the supplied wingtips don't fit properly. At this point, I just want to finish the plane as quickly and as painlessly as possible, so I'm not going to carve my own wingtips. Since the plastic ones don't fit anymore, and I'm not carving any, I'm simply going to leave them off.

I am very, very disappointed in the parts quality. I am the type of person who will readily admit mistakes, so to be sure that I was not unfairly bashing CG, I decided to go back over the wing and see if the build problems were my fault. I found nothing that I did which would lead to the problems I've been having. Yes, I have made a few mistakes, but nothing major.

Right now I'm waiting for the inner TE to dry, then I'm going to hinge the ailerons in. After that, I'm going to sand the ailerons flush with the wing. I'm considering layering 1/16" balsa to a few thin spots to even out the airfoil shape and to strengthen the sheeting a bit. If I do this, I may have to put a piece over each rib cap as well. We'll see. My perfectionist side is waging a war with my irritable side over whether the model is worth trying to keep "perfect"... not sure how that will turn out. To this point, the irritable side has won more often than it has lost.

Another interesting point worth mentioning: the wing is horribly imbalanced laterally. On many past kits, I've weighed the wood to try to keep things even, but even on the ones I did not, I never ran into a balance problem this pronounced. I have to move the lateral CG about 1.5" to the side of the center of the wing to balance it. *sigh*