RCU Forums - View Single Post - My "AMA vs. Helicopter Pilots" rant ignore, if you hate rants & helictopers
Old 10-01-2006, 01:14 AM
john68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My "AMA vs. Helicopter Pilots" rant ignore, if you hate rants & helictopers

The term "liscence" is used, only for lack of a better term. I shall call it "membership" in all posts here-after.

The fact that the AMA is not allowed to "liscence" anyone is undisputed. completely... That is not the point. What the AMA is allowed to do is prohibit you from flying your model rocket on any AMA chartered flying field, if you do not possess AMA membership. It's the same principle. If you don't have the AMA, you are not allowed to operate your model. Perhaps using the terms "liscence," and "operate" in the same paragraph may have confused my point, but the fact remains true. Anyone who does not possess an AMA membership, is not allowed to operate any equipment on an AMA flying field.

I assumed I wrote clear enough the first time to have that understood.

I think that's the last I will add to this thread. The original rant of thhis thread was my frustration over an experience at a local flying field. It was later explained to me that the member of that flying field was completely out of line in how he treated me, and what he told me. There are, in all aspects of life, some very grouchy and rude people. They are not just in AMA, but everywhere. I was lucky (or unlucky) enough to have my first dealing with that member, and no one else present protested his statements to me. Therefore I assumed that was the general concensus of the flying club, and was immediately turned sour to the whole field.

I have since returned to that field, not feeling as an unwelcomed guests. This is/was due 100% to the actions of an RCU member who cleared everything up for me, and welcomed me and my unruly helicopters to the flying field.

I still argue that helicopters do not receive their fair share of the spotlight, but, I will work on that in a way that is helpful to the cause. Seeing lots of support here, makes me more confident that my shouts did not land on deaf ears, nor that I am alone in my thinking.

Does anyone have the January 2006 issue of MA? PM me if you want to get rid of it. I had elapsed membership in january, and did not get to see the helicopters. I would be most interested in seeing what they did for that part of the hobby. (hopefully it's not a balsa/ rubber band powered free flight helicopter article! LOL just kidding)

John