RCU Forums - View Single Post - Weston Magnum R. Engine question
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 12:07 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Weston Magnum R. Engine question

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

The honest opinion of a Magnum flier...?

Why bother with anything less than the WEST engine?
Get that engine and bolt on a 9x6 for the first flights if you are insecure about your flying skills, and get someone to launch it for you. It will go straight out of sight on a 9x6... so don't worry about the launch...
The Magnum really flies very good, as long as the engine runs , so don't worry too much about your skills.

After a couple of flights when you start to get used to it and have it trimmed properly... bolt on an 8x8, shorten the pipe a little (see manual)... and hold on...
But don't forget, if things get out of hand your first reaction should to throttle back... that goes for any plane...
I agree there - I use one and I wish it was faster yet. Ditto on the 9-6, that prop works great for test fights, getting used to the airplane etc., and launches very easily.

Of course the alternative is a Jett .50, and it will pull it pretty much the same. Both killer engines.

So I agree with the use of the .50 for now - it does have a throttle after all. Just don't fly with gobs of pitch at first.

MJD