RCU Forums - View Single Post - Panther 46 gas boat painting
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Brett230SX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Panther 46 gas boat painting

ORIGINAL: misshydro

we have a store here that does it in dupont but thats enamel.I rather go urothane than enamel.And the clears spray paint that your talking about is for etching in parts.Say you want to put a fender on a car.You spray the edges of the fender with color and you use the clear spray paint to clear it.This is used to put the fender or parts on the car quicker to get the car ready to paint quickly.Otherwise if you used the clear from your spray gun,you have to leave the part dry overnight.Spray paint clears you can throw the parts on the car in two hours.But those rattle can paint your taking about is not fuel proof eather!!It used for spot only like I'd said above. Like I'd said before Ive been paint car for 20years now.

Sorry I should have specifically stated that those were not "fuel proof" examples, you can purchase urethane, fuel proof clearcoats in rattle can form to finish a rattle can paint job that will be fuel proof. Or you can do the color work yourself from rattle can and take it down to the local body guy and have him clear it for you and save some cash, because spraying all the custom colors is where the prep work and money is.

I am not saying rattle can work is for everyone, there are some guys that can rattle can with the best of them, but for most people it's certainly "easier" to pony up $500 or so to the local body guy or airbrush guy to do the work, the problem then becomes finding a bodyman who won't jerk you around for months.... I guess I am lucky I can rattle can plus I have lots of friends who do custom work for a living I also have lots of friends who do vinyl work so for me to do flames and fades or scallops or anything else I can get negative stencils in vinyl which cuts the masking time dramatically.