Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Panther 46 gas boat painting

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Panther 46 gas boat painting

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:43 PM
bmxlube0_0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panther 46 gas boat painting

i need some help I'm getting a Panther 46 gas boat and want some painting designs i don't want just a plain color but it cant be to hard as i dont have much experience at spraying
Old 10-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Panther 46 gas boat painting

You can do a lot of custom painting with a spray can and some masking tape.
This is one that I did on my wifes OB tunnel, it was easy to do.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49848.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	537541  
Old 10-09-2006, 12:25 AM
misshydro

Dont use spray paint!! Gas and will eat it!! I would use automotive paint that you use a spray gun! Automotive paints take a better beating and will last longer plus you get a awsome show look.I've been doing autobody and paint for a living for 20 years.trust me on this.Check your local body shop and asked them on price of it. If you got a airbrush you can paint it your self.The paint is not that hard to do and it will be a good learning exp for you. I get my paints at NAPA.It called Cross fire system,it's awsome and not expensive either.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:35 AM
DaveMarles

In the UK you can buy Flair products Spectrum paints which are fuelproof and in aerosol spraycans. http://www.flairmodels.co.uk/
Old 10-09-2006, 03:08 AM
1275mini

Available in blue and yellow
Old 10-09-2006, 09:51 AM
misshydro

If you guys do,then your lucky.We dont in the US.But if you want your paint to last and take a beating and have a show finish I would use automotive paint that you use a spray gun or airbrush with.[>:]
Old 10-09-2006, 11:52 AM
w3bby

Available in blue and yellow
[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Rattle cans have worked for me as have 2-pack International boat paint with good results.
If you want a tougher finish get a sprayshop to finish over the rattlecan with an automotive 2-pack clearcoat.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:04 PM
misshydro

The proublem with that,the clear will peal off in time.I'd should know.I been there and done that too.If you UK boys have spray paint that can take the gas, then go for it.In the US I havent seen spray paint that can withstand gas yet.[>:]
Old 10-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I used LustreKote on the boat shown above but my preferred paint is Formula-U that can take anything thrown at it. Unfortunately it's not made any more.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What about finishing your auto painted hull by taking it to a body shop to get a hit with some two part clear ?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Flabum

I have always used fuel-proof paint from the plane section at the local hobby store......never had any peeling or melting.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:16 AM
misshydro

The problem is the spray paint is lacquer dryes to hard and it chips easy.We use to do this in the early 90s but we ran into problems later on with clears pealing off.Plus with the new clears it might make your spray paint job lift or peal/wrinkle up/lift.[>:]
Old 10-11-2006, 09:58 PM
skymortar

i spray cars also.i frequently clear over black spray paint on like mirrors and moldings.never had a problem spraying them and if a car mirror doesnt delaminate nothing will.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 PM
misshydro

Mirrors and molding are plastic and the paint will bite better so it wont lift easy plus there a softer surface then fiberglass.[>:]
Old 10-12-2006, 10:59 PM
jonnygofast15

hey im jon,15 and i was wondering could u put bondo over fiber glass or wood and would it stick and be easy to paint? and does anyone have other desisn
Old 10-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Brett230SX

I've been rattle-canning(tm) for a few years of my life and I also have a few friends who do the professional auto body (as in custom car work) and even THEY use rattle cans at times. In fact DuPont and PPG Spotting Clear is in a rattle can come to think of is, as is some urethane preps!

There is nothing wrong with using a rattle can if you use the RIGHT stuff. Not all rattle can paints are "Laquer" I can drive down to my friendly local autobody supply store and they will mix up any type of auto paint I want and put it in rattle can form, I painted all the lund parts I had on my last Dakota with rattle can single stage Enamel Sikkens and it never pealed or chipped any worse than base coat / clear sprayed out of an HVLP in a booth.

Just my $0.02
Old 10-13-2006, 12:33 AM
misshydro

we have a store here that does it in dupont but thats enamel.I rather go urothane than enamel.And the clears spray paint that your talking about is for etching in parts.Say you want to put a fender on a car.You spray the edges of the fender with color and you use the clear spray paint to clear it.This is used to put the fender or parts on the car quicker to get the car ready to paint quickly.Otherwise if you used the clear from your spray gun,you have to leave the part dry overnight.Spray paint clears you can throw the parts on the car in two hours.But those rattle can paint your taking about is not fuel proof eather!!It used for spot only like I'd said above. Like I'd said before Ive been paint car for 20years now.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Brett230SX

ORIGINAL: misshydro

we have a store here that does it in dupont but thats enamel.I rather go urothane than enamel.And the clears spray paint that your talking about is for etching in parts.Say you want to put a fender on a car.You spray the edges of the fender with color and you use the clear spray paint to clear it.This is used to put the fender or parts on the car quicker to get the car ready to paint quickly.Otherwise if you used the clear from your spray gun,you have to leave the part dry overnight.Spray paint clears you can throw the parts on the car in two hours.But those rattle can paint your taking about is not fuel proof eather!!It used for spot only like I'd said above. Like I'd said before Ive been paint car for 20years now.

Sorry I should have specifically stated that those were not "fuel proof" examples, you can purchase urethane, fuel proof clearcoats in rattle can form to finish a rattle can paint job that will be fuel proof. Or you can do the color work yourself from rattle can and take it down to the local body guy and have him clear it for you and save some cash, because spraying all the custom colors is where the prep work and money is.

I am not saying rattle can work is for everyone, there are some guys that can rattle can with the best of them, but for most people it's certainly "easier" to pony up $500 or so to the local body guy or airbrush guy to do the work, the problem then becomes finding a bodyman who won't jerk you around for months.... I guess I am lucky I can rattle can plus I have lots of friends who do custom work for a living I also have lots of friends who do vinyl work so for me to do flames and fades or scallops or anything else I can get negative stencils in vinyl which cuts the masking time dramatically.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:56 PM
misshydro

I know what you mean.But I painted some boat for under 75 dollars.You can check with your local bodyshop and 99 out of a 100 they have planty of left over paint from other job and if they have a color that you like that would save you most of the coat of the paint work.Plus in some time they would eventualy have to throw it out.Paint has a limited shelf live.Now when you get custom airbrush work then the price will be more.But I never heard or seen anyone charge 500 dollars for painting a rc boat,that out rageous!!! I charge 900 for a good base coat clear coat paint job on real cars.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Brett230SX

I paid $500.00 to have the doors re-sprayed on my 68 corvette and I supplied the basecoat and this was a friend of mine. $900 don't buy a paint job in my neck of the woods, that's for sure!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:47 PM
skymortar

900 for an allover?3 quarts of base,180.00,reducer,75.00,clear,hardener and reducer,250.00,not to mention sealer, booth time and labor.i START at 3500 for a car.just because i like rc guys i would probably do a boat one color for 200.00.but i am by no means soliciting that sort of work.let these guys rattle can these things.its an rc boat,if you mess up try again.thats what a hobby is all about.and when you get it how you want it to look someone ask you
'who painted that?its pretty cool to say I DID.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:54 PM
misshydro

This is a reply to Skymotar!!I get my paint at NAPA store.It's a awusome paint system they sell.I use the cross fire system.If you got a real good spray gun in which I do you can spray,a acura spray,gravity feed HPLP gun.You can spray a car with three quarts of base coat color and three quarts of clear.This is none reduce/thin to mix yet.I spend under three hunder dollars for paint.And I'd bet you bought Dupont paint?I wouldnt kick a dog in the but for there paint system.Back in the early 90s Dupont had a big problems with their clears pealing off.I knew of 5 shops that used their paints and I worked in one shop that redid these paint jobs.We'd used ACME probase system.RM Diemont and Martensenior paints that NAPA sells and we'd had no problems with these paints systems.The Paint I like using are Martensenior cross fire that NAPA sells, PPG', Valspar paint/house of colors and RM Diemont. You see I dont have hardly have any over head,Oh you said you charge 3500 to paint a car!!! the guys around there charge 1600 to paint a car.I'm cheeper then any of the guys around here and I put out a better job then they do too.I'd charged a guy 3000 to restore a 71 mustang convertable thats include putting new quarter panels,both of them and two door skins too.He's suplyed the parts. Back on the boats,If the guy spray painted it and he'd likes it and eveyone else said it sucks!! The guy will feal like sh[:'(]t and wished he'd would painted it right.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Brett230SX

Chrysler also had lots of issues with clear peeling in the late 80's through the 90's and they spray PPG (and I am a fan of PPG never have been a fan of Dupont which has a yellow cast to it's clear coats and always has....)

And to keep on topic...

This photo is compliments of theboatbldr from the JRCBD Forums and yep that's rattle canned!

Old 10-14-2006, 11:01 PM
misshydro

GM was the bigest paint pealer.I done so many I'd lost count!!!Nice spray paint job but I'd bet if gas get on it it will peal in time.I wouldve had the clear spray on with urothane clear. [>:]
Old 10-15-2006, 01:50 AM
Brett230SX

It is Urethane Cleared....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.