RCU Forums - View Single Post - Recommend No.2 PARK flyers concern
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 09:54 AM
maxcontinuos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommend No.2 PARK flyers concern

This is going to be an increasing issue, there is no doubt about it. In defense of MAAC, all clubs, whether it be a yacht club or flying club or motorcycle club, become political and conflicting personalities are inevitable. One reason why I don't really like the club thing.

I would much prefer to fly on my own rather than at a busy club where I may or may not enjoy the day, depending on what is going on. On the flip side, I see park fliers out there who are going to destroy the fun for everyone else before it even starts. The lack of some common sense combined with no regard to mitigation of risk is astounding. How does one legislate common sense?

I see dogs running in the park, I see kids playing baseball, some launching rockets, throwing a frisbee or a multitude of other possibly dangerous activities. Some of which violate the local bylaws. A responsible modeler going to deserted park on a calm day to spend 20 mins flying a foamie is not going to bring the world to a sudden end. The guy who is at the same park day after day, flying over the same peoples backyards when the park is full, now this guy is going to cause problems and it will only be a matter of time before something happens.

Local hobby shops are selling park fliers at neck breaking speed. Are they educating to purchaser? I don't see it. Responsible park flying is a lot of fun but unfortunately, the human race is pretty stupid and if there is a way to screw it up, we will most certainly find it.