RCU Forums - View Single Post - F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...
Old 11-24-2006, 07:10 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

I've heard people in the past discuss gorilla glue for working with foam. I've begun my new hotwired foamie camera platform build and decided to give this glue a try. Used it to glue two 2" thick slabs of foam together to make a fat 4" fuse. Also used it to add some 6" extensions to my 36" foam wing to make it 48" long. All I can say is wow...this stuff does foam up by adding just a tiny bit of water and will fill the gaps between two parts as well as work it's self into the foam pours for a VERY strong hold. Just have to put some weight on the two parts or clamp them down so the glue doesn't push them apart. Still like my 5 minute epoxy for gluing on most parts but if you've got a less than perfect match between two surfaces the foaming action is a major plus to fill the gap and create a very strong bond. To fill such things for strength such as the empty very front chamber on a Stryker body I use "Great Stuff" spray in foam from Home Depot. Much lighter and foams up more than Gorilla glue is going to. Anyway, this Gorilla glue deserves a spot in your workshop for certain situations. It should be the perfect glue to use to repair foam body damage on a Stryker if the two parts are missing some foam between them. I also found out that you only need about 1/10th the amount of water as you do the glue. Mix them together and brush it on like paint. It gets pretty tacky pretty quick but probably needs to sit two or three hours before putting any stress on the joint, though I think it needs an overnight curing to really get solid. Anybody have any other tips on using this glue? I've got one...Don't get it on your hands and then talk on a cell phone for five minutes.