RCU Forums - View Single Post - over sizing motor for telemaster 40
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 08:46 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: over sizing motor for telemaster 40

ORIGINAL: Not24

I had a 40 fx on mine. Would have been better with a 61, but not for speed, just nice to have more power to get out of trouble. The wing is so large that the weight would not be an issue. It needs a little more weight anyway, in my opinion. Doesn't like the wind very much.

---------------

To handle the wind well, your model needs lots of control authority. I have flown floater type airplanes in gales that had grounded some of the pattern folks. The pattern pilots were all warning me not to fly. Of course, I flew anyway and had no problem at all.

My models, and my wife's Ben Buckle Red Zephyr, which is what this model was, have larger than normal control surfaces and lots of throw. I also tend to balance such models a bit nose heavy, since they aren't going to be particularly aerobatic anyway. The wife has moved on to quilting after many years of flying R/C, so I inherited the Red Zephyr. A sweet airplane, by the way.

Which reminds me, I should pull the old Red Zephyr (1990) out of storage, strip the covering, remove a bunch of weight, install some mini servos for guidance and fit it with a Diesel conversion engine. Maybe the new Enya 41 four-stroke Diesel. That would be a conversation starter. At the moment it is powered with an old K&B .28 Sportster which has been a reliable and powerful power plant. Hmm, maybe I'll just get a Davis Diesel for the Sportster .28 and save $230. <G>

Ed Cregger