Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

over sizing motor for telemaster 40

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:35 PM
loonetoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over sizing motor for telemaster 40

hello what motor do you think will work best for the 40. i have so 60 will it work or will it be to heavy. would a 50 work better i would like the power of the 60 but don't know thank you for your help
Old 02-28-2006, 09:48 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: over sizing motor for telemaster 40

Telemaster will fly about the same with a 60 as it does with a 40.

Be sure and balance the model

A Telemaster doesn't need all that power

A 52 four stroke would be nice on one. Or any 40-46 two stroke
Old 02-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Not24
My Feedback: (1)

I had a 40 fx on mine. Would have been better with a 61, but not for speed, just nice to have more power to get out of trouble. The wing is so large that the weight would not be an issue. It needs a little more weight anyway, in my opinion. Doesn't like the wind very much.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:41 PM
BobHans

Just bought a used Telemaster 40 and found it set up at neutral trims with down elevator, right rudder and lead in the nose. Don't have plans - would really appreciate any trim info like CG, down thrust, right thrust and any suggestions to make it fly as it was intended.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just nice to have more power to get out of trouble.
What type of trouble do you get into with this plane? Buzzard attacks?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:37 PM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

ROFL!!!! [sm=lol.gif]
Old 11-30-2006, 11:49 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A Telemaster that is built straight will have a minimum of trim in any direction.

The lead in the nose had more to do with the engine used and how heavy the covering is.

These are all "OWNER/BUILDER VARIABLES" and therefore cannot be pinned down to a certain value.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:39 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Telemaster will fly about the same with a 60 as it does with a 40.

Be sure and balance the model

A Telemaster doesn't need all that power

A 52 four stroke would be nice on one. Or any 40-46 two stroke

-----------------

Planes like the Telemaster get difficult to land with the engine running when the engine is much larger than recommended. It doesn't take much to keep them airborne. Truthfully, if one was flying for a paved runway, it would probably fly just fine with a good .25 in the nose.

Were I one to overpower models (), I might be tempted to use a .70 four-stroke, but like Jim says, a .52 would fly it just fine.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-01-2006, 08:46 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Not24

I had a 40 fx on mine. Would have been better with a 61, but not for speed, just nice to have more power to get out of trouble. The wing is so large that the weight would not be an issue. It needs a little more weight anyway, in my opinion. Doesn't like the wind very much.

---------------

To handle the wind well, your model needs lots of control authority. I have flown floater type airplanes in gales that had grounded some of the pattern folks. The pattern pilots were all warning me not to fly. Of course, I flew anyway and had no problem at all.

My models, and my wife's Ben Buckle Red Zephyr, which is what this model was, have larger than normal control surfaces and lots of throw. I also tend to balance such models a bit nose heavy, since they aren't going to be particularly aerobatic anyway. The wife has moved on to quilting after many years of flying R/C, so I inherited the Red Zephyr. A sweet airplane, by the way.

Which reminds me, I should pull the old Red Zephyr (1990) out of storage, strip the covering, remove a bunch of weight, install some mini servos for guidance and fit it with a Diesel conversion engine. Maybe the new Enya 41 four-stroke Diesel. That would be a conversation starter. At the moment it is powered with an old K&B .28 Sportster which has been a reliable and powerful power plant. Hmm, maybe I'll just get a Davis Diesel for the Sportster .28 and save $230. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 12-01-2006, 10:00 AM
BobHans

My new (used) Telemaster has a .40 with a 10-6 prop; seems the standard for a trainer, but I read recently a recommendation to use a larger diam prop like a 11-4 in a trainer. Author says this will limit the top speed, but speed is not a major consideration here. Also will tend to slow the plane up for landing, countering the tendency to float. Comments?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

That is FUNNY! LOL!

Seen more people get into trouble after learning to rely on overpowered planes. Learn to fly the wing.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:46 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I think Buzzards are too fast - hard to attach it !!
[sm=lol.gif]

The Telemaster 40 will fly with just about any engine that will swing a 10" or larger prop.

I flew the T-40 planes I had with an K&B .40, Enya .40, K&B 61., ASP .46, ASP .61, OS 46 FS, and and OS .61 FS. (yes, they are great test beds)

Forward speed is pretty much the same regardless - only differences were take-off distance and lifting power when loaded - the plane is great for hauling stuff like cameras and such.

If you have a .61, use it. If you have a .40 use it. Put a big diameter, flat prop on it. Throttle's are amazing things. Enjoy the plane
Old 12-01-2006, 11:53 AM
richrd

I have a Megtech 46 in mine and just perfect for flying on wing will not go vertical but will large loop with a little down run first. Also I put a 11 x 5 on to slow it down with out any wind it will just float across run way at idle. Balance right on spar is best starting point. Manual suggest you beef up the tail if going to use a 61 engine so if builder did not you may tear the tail off.
Rich
Old 12-01-2006, 06:54 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: BobHans

My new (used) Telemaster has a .40 with a 10-6 prop; seems the standard for a trainer, but I read recently a recommendation to use a larger diam prop like a 11-4 in a trainer. Author says this will limit the top speed, but speed is not a major consideration here. Also will tend to slow the plane up for landing, countering the tendency to float. Comments?

------------------

You make a good point. The 11x4 will, indeed, limit the top speed and will also act as a brake when throttled back.

I would rather go for an 11x5. To me, it is the best compromise for a .45 to .52 engine. An 11x4 is just a bit too light for a powerful .45-.52. For a .40 LA or equivalent, it might be just right.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-01-2006, 07:24 PM
BobHans

Thanks for your (and others) input - appreciate it !!
Another point about the larger prop that I forgot to mention - it will get the plane off the ground a little faster according to the author. So sounds like a good way to go using a .40. I'll go with your rec. on the 11-5 prop.

Bob Hansman