RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Electric Plane
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 10:00 AM
B.L.E.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Electric Plane

ORIGINAL: tronco

I am also new to rc flying. I became interested in the hobby via the Hobyzone Firebird XL. It was easily flown right out of the box. Eventually the fusalage became so tweaked it began flying in a tight circle. But thats all beside the point.... i know its just a toy plane. So anyway, I want to build a plane from a kit, and when i say a kit i'm talking about one of the laser cut balsa ones. I really don't want a glow powered plane since i want to stay as low maintenence as possible. My workspace and time is limited. I looked around online and lastnight i ordered a Herr Mini-sport on a complete impulse. It will be here in a few weeks. /shrug. i've been reading up since and I now know i really need a trainer...but which? keep in mind:
*I WANT to build as much of it as possible and i am confident in my skill even though it will be my first rc plane attempt
*I have built a few stick and tissue rubber powered kits
*I have very minimal flying experience (just the toy i mentioned above)
The Herr mini-sport was only 35$ so i will still be building it for fun and practice but i also want a plane to actually learn on. One that will practically fly (and land) without me preferably=P
Thanks! PS i dont really like the idea of non-powered/ glider planes....im pretty set on some sort of balsa electric park flyer, i just dont know which. I know, I know... its a tall order but does such a plane exist?

I would suggest a Sig Kadet Senorita, a smaller version of the legendary Kadet Senor that flys quite well with a .25 glow engine. Because it's a .25 size plane, it should be somewhat less expensive to convert to e-power than a typical .40 size trainer.

You might also consider scratch building from plans. There is a "mini kadet" designed for 1/2A engines (Cox .049, Norvel .61) that should be a natural to electric conversion.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2301186/tm.htm