Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Electric Plane

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Electric Plane

Old 12-08-2006, 11:20 PM
bran12081

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Electric Plane

Hi Guys,

So I got into electric helis and bought a blade CX, having a great time with that. So I thought, "why not planes?". What I am looking for is something that is electric, can do some fun things (spins and whatnot), is RTF (hopefully low maintenence) and is anywhere between $100-$350. In other words I want something with a little kick that will last me a bit. (And I wouldn't mind if it were cool looking, old fighter plane or something - not necessary, but heh)

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 12-09-2006, 12:14 AM
tIANci

Default RE: First Electric Plane

You are asking a lot of a 1st plane ... go with a GWS ... at least its cheap when you crash and they do fly well and its cheap to set up. Can you fly planes well? That is the most important thing.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:57 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

One you have a few flights under your belt, check out Horizon Hobby. The plane I've enjoyed the most for speed, thrills and stability is the Stryker 27b by Park Zone. Out of the box Fun that takes a beginner pilot to intermediate in a hurry. This is not a beginer plane! but a wonderful next step that also has mutiple add ons and upgrades for performance
Old 12-09-2006, 01:32 PM
bran12081

The stryker looks pretty nice, although will it also take off? or is it one you have to throw?

It seems there are many GWS, they look a little cheap to me. I am not afraid of crashing it (trust me, my blade cx felt the wrath and I picked up on it fairly quick).

Anything else anyone would recommend?

Thanks for help,
Brandon
Old 12-09-2006, 02:06 PM
r/cmark42

Stryker is tossed in the air and lands on it's belly. coming from the Buffalo NY area, where we are muddy and snow boand 2/3 of the year, this works perfect for me [8D]
Old 12-09-2006, 04:17 PM
bran12081

I do have to say that stryker looks impressive after watching some videos - SUPER fast! What you guys think about the

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4100

the Typhoon 3d elec?

Do you know of a plane like the stryker (speed and manuv.) that comes with landing gear?

thanks,
Brandon
Old 12-09-2006, 05:59 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

www.polkshobby.com

has a plane called the focus 400 ARF with brushless/lipo/charger/esc for $150 in the ad but $120 on their site..I plan on getting one with some xmas $$...Rog

I forgot to add..unless you are flying off blacktop, very few (parkflyer) electrics will take off and need hand launching to fly and will just flip (prang) on landing

and www.imexrc.com has the same plane RTF for $219
Old 12-09-2006, 07:19 PM
r/cmark42

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=3887

I've never flown the Typhoon but the attached review on RC Universe should give you enough information to help make you choice easier
Old 12-10-2006, 03:36 AM
perttime

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want a cheap electric aerobatic plane, GWS Formosa is hard to beat. The stock motor is a bit lazy, so either you build it very light or you put in a 150W brushless motor. If you don't like the color just go ahead and paint or cover it.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:57 AM
tronco

I am also new to rc flying. I became interested in the hobby via the Hobyzone Firebird XL. It was easily flown right out of the box. Eventually the fusalage became so tweaked it began flying in a tight circle. But thats all beside the point.... i know its just a toy plane. So anyway, I want to build a plane from a kit, and when i say a kit i'm talking about one of the laser cut balsa ones. I really don't want a glow powered plane since i want to stay as low maintenence as possible. My workspace and time is limited. I looked around online and lastnight i ordered a Herr Mini-sport on a complete impulse. It will be here in a few weeks. /shrug. i've been reading up since and I now know i really need a trainer...but which? keep in mind:
*I WANT to build as much of it as possible and i am confident in my skill even though it will be my first rc plane attempt
*I have built a few stick and tissue rubber powered kits
*I have very minimal flying experience (just the toy i mentioned above)
The Herr mini-sport was only 35$ so i will still be building it for fun and practice but i also want a plane to actually learn on. One that will practically fly (and land) without me preferably=P
Thanks! PS i dont really like the idea of non-powered/ glider planes....im pretty set on some sort of balsa electric park flyer, i just dont know which. I know, I know... its a tall order but does such a plane exist?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:00 AM
B.L.E.

ORIGINAL: tronco

I am also new to rc flying. I became interested in the hobby via the Hobyzone Firebird XL. It was easily flown right out of the box. Eventually the fusalage became so tweaked it began flying in a tight circle. But thats all beside the point.... i know its just a toy plane. So anyway, I want to build a plane from a kit, and when i say a kit i'm talking about one of the laser cut balsa ones. I really don't want a glow powered plane since i want to stay as low maintenence as possible. My workspace and time is limited. I looked around online and lastnight i ordered a Herr Mini-sport on a complete impulse. It will be here in a few weeks. /shrug. i've been reading up since and I now know i really need a trainer...but which? keep in mind:
*I WANT to build as much of it as possible and i am confident in my skill even though it will be my first rc plane attempt
*I have built a few stick and tissue rubber powered kits
*I have very minimal flying experience (just the toy i mentioned above)
The Herr mini-sport was only 35$ so i will still be building it for fun and practice but i also want a plane to actually learn on. One that will practically fly (and land) without me preferably=P
Thanks! PS i dont really like the idea of non-powered/ glider planes....im pretty set on some sort of balsa electric park flyer, i just dont know which. I know, I know... its a tall order but does such a plane exist?

I would suggest a Sig Kadet Senorita, a smaller version of the legendary Kadet Senor that flys quite well with a .25 glow engine. Because it's a .25 size plane, it should be somewhat less expensive to convert to e-power than a typical .40 size trainer.

You might also consider scratch building from plans. There is a "mini kadet" designed for 1/2A engines (Cox .049, Norvel .61) that should be a natural to electric conversion.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2301186/tm.htm
Old 12-10-2006, 11:46 AM
r/cmark42

Tronco,
I have been very pleased with the qualityof construction and the elabprate detail of instruction from SR Batteries (www.srbatteries.com) There "cutie" is an ideal trainer and a blast to build. Their power systems they advertise are a bit datedbut are easily converted and updated.

have fun. so glad there are others that enjoy building as much as they enjoy flying!
Old 12-10-2006, 02:20 PM
tronco

Thanks for the input. As for building fron scratch, I'm maybe not THAT confident in my skill just yet. However, this is certainly the direction I'm headed. I had'nt concidered modifyling a glow kit to an electric. That is somthing I'll need to look into.
It's funny you mention the "cutie" Cmark. My Grandfather had a few of those in his workshop years ago and if I remember correctly, I may actually have one in storage! I doubt its airworthy now though! If that is a good flyer I may just try it out. One other plane caught my atention last night- the Piper Cub J-3 looks slow and stable. Would that be a good first flyer? I was also wondering what you all think of the herr min-sport i ordered? besides being sporty looking, would it be stable enough to learn with?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:42 PM
tronco

Ok, why is the cutie so expensive compared to some other planes. http://www.srbatteries.com/cutie.htm
I know its not really that expensive compared to most planes but ive found several for under 40$ and yet this one is pricey for an old-school kit.
....oh. It comes with a few more components such as covering, quality hardware and an aparently "wonderful" instruction booklet. /shrug, still pricey for what you get. Anyone know if they can they be bought cheaper elsewhere?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:41 PM
B.L.E.

Don't fear scratch building. It differs from kits in that you have to cut out your own parts and you don't usually have a detailed set of instructions to walk you through the project. I use a flatbead scanner to make 100% copies of parts that need to be cut out of balsa sheet. I spray a light mist of 3M 77 spray adhesive on the paper and stick it to the balsa to use as a cutting guide. After cutting out the part, the paper pattern is easily peeled off. Before I had a scanner, I traced the shape of the part on vellum paper. It's not harder, it's just a little more work. The payoff is you own a plane that is not a "belly-button plane" (everybody has one).

Here is a good source of plans. http://www.modelairplanenews.com/rs/...d=36&catego=PL
Old 12-10-2006, 08:43 PM
bran12081

r/cmark42

I think I am going to go for the stryker 27c and take my chances. This thing looks way to fun to fly and hopefully I won't bang it up too badly Thanks for the help.

- Brandon
Old 12-11-2006, 07:41 AM
r/cmark42

Make sure your flying area has lots of room....take it SLOW

HAVE SOME FUN!