RCU Forums - View Single Post - First attempt at airbrushing.... (progress thread)
Old 12-12-2006, 03:00 PM
nickrummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First attempt at airbrushing.... (progress thread)

Well I've been wanting to airbrush a body for some time now. A while back a friend let me borrow their airbrush and I tried doing some flames on a mustang body I had. I didn't even get to try to paint it because I got so frustrated with putting the masking on. I was using a thick vinyl which was my problem.

Anyways, I scored a free airbrush from a friend who was selling it in a yard sail. It's a paasche single action. I picked up some Faskcolor paints, some tamiya masking tape and got a stock Mt2 18ss body from a friend that he never used.

Took me about an hour but I put down the mask. Masked the windows and masked a basic design. Also masked off the bed of the truck. Then I just ripped the tape away from the edge of the masking to give it a torn effect. hopefully it comes out nice.

Here is the body masked up.

Then I put a coat of black on the bed of the truck and the painted on the shadow under the torn endge of the masking tape. I did the painting at lunch today. I'm looking to go back after work and put another coat of black on the bed.

Is anyone else using the Faskolor paints? Do you thin them out to use them or use them straight from the bottle? I ended up running my compressor at 30psi because anything lower and I was getting spots and not a fine mist. If you are thinning them out what are you using to do so?

Feel free to add any opinions, corrections, etc.... I'm looking to learn!