RCU Forums - View Single Post - DC-3/C-47 question
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 07:28 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DC-3/C-47 question

Will probably be a long while before it materializes. Its basically a spring about 18" long. The coils would need to have spacing between them, I figure about 3/4" or so. A gear reduced motor would turn the spring slowly. The paratroopers would have a hole on top that would be threaded onto the spring. You would load the paratroopers by running the spring in reverse. Then run it forward to eject them one at a time out the door. The spring would have to be mounted in a box with a slot in the bottom because the "output" end of the spring has to be free to release the paratroopers. I found a company that sells toy robotic gear drives that would work perfect for this. A light weight spring is the holdup. But now that I have a lathe I can probably make the spring to fit my purposes. Clear as mud? I'll see if I can draw a concept on my cad s/w. A picture is much better than words sometimes.

I have 4 projects to finish before thinking about the DC-3. The 4th is a proof of concept test plane for mechanisms like this. I'll call it the HerkyStick. Pretty much a big stick fashioned into a boxy C-130 about about 90" to 100" ws. I want to get some 4 engine experience.
Edwin