RCU Forums - View Single Post - robart pin points on DP330L
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003, 06:20 AM
Flymyplane
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robarts

Well guys, I did it. I cut my rudder and elevators off last night to prepare to install hingepoints. Tonight, I installed the hingepoints in the rudder. Im using four hingepoints. I only added one extra balsa block, and that was for the top hinge. I was able to access this are from the top of the fin! I cut an opening just big enough for me to install a block, and sealed back up. As for the others, I think that there is enough meat to hold them. The bottom two are actually sunk in the fin trailing edge, and that 1/4 fuse filler piece. So Im pretty confident that they will hold. I used 2 ton 30 minute epoxy, with filler added for thickness. After inspecting the rudder, and not wanting to rip the covering back (boy Im tired of mods on this plane!), I think there is enough meat here also. Its probably about a 1/2" or so, but with all the expoxy gook, I think it should hold. At this point, it cant be any worse than those CA hinges that DP supplied! I stood fuse up as high as I could, to keep the glue where I wanted it, on the hinge!

Now, the elevators. Im planning to install four or five robart pins. I tested a hinge point last night in a piece of 1/2" balsa, using Thin CA. YOu could not twist it out with plyers! SO, I will probably go ahead and use my epoxy mix to install, and will probably put in 5 hinges just to be certain. It will probably take me a week to find the kletts, or anything similar, and the robarts are on hand at home. So, I will keep you all posted! At this point, Im feeling much better about it than with the CA hinges! It will be worth the effort. (Im not going to drill the stab tube!)