RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kits or scratch plans?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 01:29 PM
kd7oir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kits or scratch plans?

Wow, 60% sounds like $$$$$ (and speed).
I don't know. I don't like out riggers because there ugly (I know looks isn't everything but if I build something, it's important to me) and hydros don't do real well in rougher water. I like monos because there simple, and if built right and ballanced well, will do fair in rougher water.
Well here is my criteria. Money isn't a huge concern for building (if the wife will let me get away with building a $1100.00 plane rtf without knowing how to fly, I'm safe) but it does have it's limits, so say $300.-600. rtr less radio isn't unreasionable. Where money does play a factor is running and maintance which leaves out the O.S. Max .21 VZ-M. (thanks John for pointing that out) The wind is always blowing here so we never have the best water conditions, so a hydro is out. I want a little larger than a .18-.21 because of the water. So I'm looking at the wrong motors, so maybe a .40? (gass is out because weight to power is to low dynamite remember) Tryed and true is important because I don't want to be buying alot of props and pipes for trial and error (a 1or 2 pips, and 5 or 6 props is ok.) I expect some "tuning time" but that's why I'm here so I'm not giong into it blind. This has to be scratch build. Not because of caust, but because I don't want the same boat that Joe Blow down the street bought and pulled it out of the box, went to the river with it 3 times, and now it just sits on a shelf because he lost interest. Part of the play is the build for me and I take pride in it. I don't even care if I have to build it out of fiberglass. (I'm looking into that)
I'll think of more, but have to go for now.
Shawn