RCU Forums - View Single Post - GOOD PAINT
Thread: GOOD PAINT
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 12:56 PM
bofrcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GOOD PAINT

Hey Guy's! Good thread! I've been in the hobby over 40 years,,(and still learning a lot),,I'd done regular paint in my time too,, got a nice compressor,, guns,, etc. For the several years, I've been using spray cans!! Yep! LOL (I haven't touched the spray gun in a while,,) I've found that there's spary cans that have an adjustable "nozzle",,on them,, and they produce a FLAT spray pattern! (you adjust the pattern for horizontal or vertical pattern) The better paint I've found I get from the local Ace hardware store,, the house name for it is "RUST STOP" (hmmm,,generic rustoleum?) I've found an UNCANNY resemblance,,to that monocote match spray,,(can't think of the name right now) LOL They have primer in 3 colors white,,grey,, and red. Your PRIMER COLOR is VERY important too! one of the problems with that monoke stuff,, only one color!! And,,a 16 oz can is,,(was?),,$3.60 !! (btw,,check the amount u get in that other stuff,,only 10 oz !!) The RUST STOP is glow fuel RESISTANT,,(lots of clear coats out there that are fuel proof, I fly gas,, so not a problem) And,, because I have a choice in primer colors,, I can get a better match to the pre-colored type of coverings,, cloth type included!! I've done some primer testing to determine the correct "shade" of the color,,I'll spray 3 vertical stripes of primer about 6" wide,, of each color primer on something scrap,,let it dry for a couple of days,, then spray the paint,,HORIZONTAL,,accross,, let that dry a couple of days too, then check the match with the covering material,, that's been ironed on something,, it's a lot closer in many cases then that other "stuff" ,, and,, btw,, KRYLON spray paint has camo colors and clear coat they advertise as DEAD FLAT !! no "semi" gloss!! (some camo paints will get a semi-gloss to them,,if too much color goes on),, Ok just my 2 cents worth