View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 10:26 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo maintenance

Taking servos apart is a piece of cake. You just have to do it methodically.
Keep them over your workbech while your working on them so parts don't hit the floor and dissapear.
Put a towel on your bench so the parts don't bounce on to the floor.
Take the 4 case screws out and remove the top of the case. The gear with the output arm may stick in the top. That is a good sign. It means that the bushing is in good shape.
I leave the screws attached to the case bottom, So that I don't have to look for them later.
Pull the circuit board away from the case carefully. Inspect it under a magnifying glass for cracks, corossion and the security of the circuit components. If it looks good put it back in position and proceed to the gear train.
Take the gears out and clean them with dish soap and water and a suitable brush. Let the m dry completely. If you vave an air compressor, blow dry them.
wipe the motor gear, pot shaft and gear shafts clean.
Inspect the gears carefully un der tha magnifying glass for chips or cracks. If they are all in good shape, reuse them.
Put a drop of white lithium grease on aech gear shaft and the motor gear. Then smear a little grease on all of the gears, making sure all the teeth are lubed.
Reassemble the gear train.
The pot will have a flat side on it's shaft. Make sure the gear is in the right spot when it goes together. It should just slide on the shaft without much pressure.
Put the bottom back on, tighten the screws (NOT TOO TIGHT!)
Test the servo. The servo is now ready for installation in your vehicle.
Doug