Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servo maintenance

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo maintenance

Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Servo maintenance

Not sure if this is the correct forum - but here goes. I just acquired a 'lot' of Futaba 3004's and 148s. They all seem to work fine, no travel issues, but I'd like to visually inspect the interanls for any broken / damaged gears, etc.

Can I just remove the screws and take the top off? OR are there issues with doing that.....almost like taking an old spring wound watch apart....BOING!! There go gears and springs flying all over the place...ouch....My eye.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:26 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo maintenance

Taking servos apart is a piece of cake. You just have to do it methodically.
Keep them over your workbech while your working on them so parts don't hit the floor and dissapear.
Put a towel on your bench so the parts don't bounce on to the floor.
Take the 4 case screws out and remove the top of the case. The gear with the output arm may stick in the top. That is a good sign. It means that the bushing is in good shape.
I leave the screws attached to the case bottom, So that I don't have to look for them later.
Pull the circuit board away from the case carefully. Inspect it under a magnifying glass for cracks, corossion and the security of the circuit components. If it looks good put it back in position and proceed to the gear train.
Take the gears out and clean them with dish soap and water and a suitable brush. Let the m dry completely. If you vave an air compressor, blow dry them.
wipe the motor gear, pot shaft and gear shafts clean.
Inspect the gears carefully un der tha magnifying glass for chips or cracks. If they are all in good shape, reuse them.
Put a drop of white lithium grease on aech gear shaft and the motor gear. Then smear a little grease on all of the gears, making sure all the teeth are lubed.
Reassemble the gear train.
The pot will have a flat side on it's shaft. Make sure the gear is in the right spot when it goes together. It should just slide on the shaft without much pressure.
Put the bottom back on, tighten the screws (NOT TOO TIGHT!)
Test the servo. The servo is now ready for installation in your vehicle.
Doug
Old 02-08-2007, 11:48 AM
gbrandt1
My Feedback: (1)

You should not need to take the cover off of your servos....they either work or they dont work. Once again you will always find some "techy" wanna be who will tell you how to do it. Servos are cheap enough to where if ya need one ya can go buy one. If you cant afford one, you shouldnt be in the hobby. You are asking for trouble by popping the screws off of a servo.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 PM
firstplaceaviator

ORIGINAL: gbrandt1

You should not need to take the cover off of your servos....they either work or they dont work. Once again you will always find some "techy" wanna be who will tell you how to do it. Servos are cheap enough to where if ya need one ya can go buy one. If you cant afford one, you shouldnt be in the hobby. You are asking for trouble by popping the screws off of a servo.
Techy wannabe??? please... Kevlar asked. I explained it.
First of all, with my foamies, I have broken gears frequently. It takes me 10 minutes to rebuild one and only costs $3.00 in parts. Thats a lot less than $15.00 for a new servo.
On my helis, the digital servos cost $50.00-$120.00. You must be indepedently wealthy if you just throw them away.
After any crash with my helis, I disassemble the servos because their may be hidden damage. That could cause a loss of control wich could cost me a heck of a lot of money, hurt or even kill someone. So, am I a techie? Yes...and proud of it. You think you are asking for trouble by taking a servo apart, that says something about your skills.
Doug
Old 02-08-2007, 12:16 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Then why do they sell repalcement gear sets for servos?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Kevlar

Thanks Doug - thats what I would have expected to do - and thanks for the additional insight.

....had a car with a bad transmission...maybe I should have just thrown it away and got a new car

...shouldn't have replaced that broken switch on the Tx either....works or doesn't....otherwise get rid of it

...I could go on, but why bother.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:11 PM
firstplaceaviator

Your welcome!
Once again, you will always find some non-techie that will tell you to throw it away and buy a new one
Doug
Old 02-08-2007, 03:04 PM
gbrandt1

If you have alot of $ invested in your machine....why would you take the risk of crashng or even worse risk personal injury to not only yourself but others as well? Further...to repair a suspected servo that might or might not have contributed to your heli's demise, and then....(heres the clincher)....stick it right back in your machine after your $ 3 repair....Especially in a heli, for which I too have flown for many years. Just simply retire it for the time being until such time it can be safely tested.Not the extreme to which you have alluded and toss it. It is not my skills as a servo repairman that guide me in this hobby but wisdom.
Ever heard of wisdom? Here ya go: Wisdom is defined as one's use of one's intelligence, creativity, and knowledge for a common good, as guided by values, through a balance among one's own, other people's, and higher interests (such as saftey at flying fields). This includes ones around you of which you seem to be blind to.You made my case.......Go ahead and repair your servos in your thousand dollar heli's, you contradict yourself....slow down and read
Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Kevlar

I didn't want to get into the details of why - but since there seems to be a press.... I fly COMBAT and experiment with new or crazy designs or whatever I can junk together - so I'd like to have some assurance the servos are not going to stick or slip or have some other malfunction.

As for my $$$ items, I fly new / excellent condition equipment: questionable devices get demoted to my 'Junk Yard Wars' bin.....
Old 02-08-2007, 03:21 PM
gbrandt1

Youre moderation switch is broke...can you fix that as well? There seems to be no "in between" with you....extremes: throw away transmissions,switches,....you mention taking apart your servos when your heli crashes......and your challenging my abilities.....hello! anybody in there? Your buddy Doug there seems to be a follower instead of a leader. Really should learn to stand alone there Doug,your friend is a bad example at the field.
Common sense (wait ....let me explain that for you: sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.) would dictate that a person with $1000+ invested in one machine and a few hundred in another could figure out which one you could skimp on as far as repairs go.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:45 PM
firstplaceaviator

ORIGINAL: gbrandt1

to repair a suspected servo that might or might not have contributed to your heli's demise, and then....(heres the clincher)....stick it right back in your machine after your $ 3 repair.

It is not my skills as a servo repairman that guide me in this hobby but wisdom.
Ever heard of wisdom? Here ya go: Wisdom is defined as one's use of one's intelligence, creativity, and knowledge for a common good, as guided by values, through a balance among one's own, other people's, and higher interests (such as saftey at flying fields). This includes ones around you of which you seem to be blind to.You made my case.......Go ahead and repair your servos in your thousand dollar heli's, you contradict yourself....slow down and read
Gary, don't take things so personally. I'm sorry if you feel like we slapped you around a bit. We are all friends here.
Think about what you are posting before just blurting out a short sighted answer and it probably won't happen again.

I never said that a bad servo may have contributed to a crash with my helis. The reason I take them apart is to inspect them for damage that may have happened during a crash. As a matter of fact, I haven't crashed an aircraft becuase of a mechanical failure since the mid 1980's. I am extremely safty consciensious. I would never fly a plane or heli that I thought was dangerous for me to fly. I certainly wouldn't endanger my fellow pilots at the club.

So, where have I contradicted myself? did I say that I can repair a digital servo for $3.00? BTW, it's not a thousand dollar helicopter.
It is several helicopters, each costing at least two thousand dollars.

Here is some wisdom for you:

My profile:

Airplane Experience - 30 years building
- 30 years operating
- Expert pilot
Heli Experience - 9 years building
- 8 years operating
- Advanced pilot

Your Profile:

Airplane Experience - 2 years building
- 15 years operating
- Expert pilot
Heli Experience - 2 years building
- 4 years operating
- Advanced pilot

My point is that experience is the best teacher. Slow down and take your own advice....
See you in the forums!
Doug
Old 02-08-2007, 06:51 PM
gbrandt1

Its a flippin hobby.....get over yourself
Old 02-08-2007, 07:29 PM
decay

Its no big deal inspecting a servo, maintaining
and checking things out is part of the hobby for me,
as well as the flying and building.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:08 PM
gbrandt1

Yeah Firstplace aviator....I see your "bio"......I stretched the truth on mine as well !!!! Its cake take time, then back to your naps...Ill wake you when Nickelodian is back on....then cookies and milk....bye bye
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 PM
gbrandt1

Incidently....your "bio" has little to do with wisdom and alot to do with having too much spare time on your hands....wood and glue my man, wood and glue.Analagous to coloring in coloring books when you were in kindergarden...Im sure there is a Wal Mart in need of a "greeter" somewhere.Bye Bye
Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 PM
gbrandt1

To infer that we are all friends here is alittle presumptious.....along the same lines as a TV Evangelist would use.I think youre in the wrong forum