RCU Forums - View Single Post - UPDATE Hate it when the expiration date matches the maiden..
Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hate it when the expiration date matches the maiden..

ORIGINAL: SebM

I'd like to know what you mean exactly by ''glass them'' ? Do you mean adding a thin coat of epoxy over the joint of the wing after gluing them ?

Thank you
What you do is cut a piece of fiberglass cloth (1.5 to 2.0 oz. per sq. yd.) about 2" wide and long enough to wrap around the entire wing joint top and bottom. Then as you noted cover the wing joint with a THIN layer of epoxy. Next, lay the glass cloth on the joint and work the epoxy into the glass cloth with a squeegie. (old credit cards and a card from a deck of cards work great). The goal here is to inpregnate the glass with the epoxy and then remove any excess. You can also hit the joint LIGHTLY with a heat gun to thin the epoxy a bit.

This is impotant USE A SLOW CURE EPOXY ( 30 MIN. OR LONGER) TO ALLOW YOURSELF ENOUGH TIME TO WORK THE JOINT. If you use an epoxy with a shorter cure time you will be sory.

Another point is that since this wing is already covered you will have to remove the covering at the joint prior to glassing it. You glass the bare joint, NOT over the covering. Then you have to recover. To remove covering do not use an exacto knife as it's easy to cut into the structure and weaken it. A nifty way to remove the covering is to use a light touch with a soldering iron to make the "cuts" then peal the covering away.

Finaly, I don't think you really need to do all this. Since the plane was designed for the wing to simply be taped together, The wing joint should be strong enough. All you really need to do is epoxy the wing together so that it will not seperate into two pieces during flight. If it were me I would "glass" the joint, but I have every thing I need to do it ( epoxy, glass, covering materials and tools) but again I don't really think it's necessary.

Darren