RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Cessna 182 build
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 08:52 PM
nzak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Teookie,
I was looking at the saito 100 twin also. It looks like it would fit nicely inside the cowl. I just dont know how to get fuel from 2 tanks to it without a pump, thats why i decided to try the BME 90 instead. I plan on building a test stand for the engine with the tanks in a location that would simulate the mounting position on the plane. Then I will know more about how it will work in the model. For the tanks, I found some 11.1 ounce ducted fan model tanks that i think with only some small mods will work directly at th CG of the model. Its still just a plan right now, only time will tell if it is going to work.

I saw one at a swap meet in Perry Georgia last weekend, it had what looked like a G-23 mounted on it!! Of course the bottom of the cowl was open. It has to be heavier than the saito or bme. I couldnt find the owner around to ask for sure what it was and I had my camera in my hand, but for some reason I cannot explain, I didnt take a picture of it!!!(stupid!!)[&o]

I am going to try to use the fueling point that is available in the same location as the real fuel caps. Still figuring it all out. I will try to find a link to the fuel tank and fueling connections to post here. I do recall the measurements of the tank were very close to the distance between the spars. maybe a little shaving of wood and some bracing above and below the tank since the webs wont be used between three of the ribs.

I need to get back to work on mine, I have been distracted by the Avistar Select that I think will fly close to the Cessna. It has a few flights on it now and I plan on flying it tomorrow too. The Heli-Max Axe CP I got a couple weeks ago is not helping with my build time either! I have too many distractions!! I am going to work on it tonight, hopefully at least get the the fin glued.

One last thing, I am seriously considering the rivets and also glassing it then covering with flitemetal. I am concerned with weight though. I still need to find a 182Q to model it after. You going with the one on the box or doing a different one?

Nick