RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Cessna 182 build
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 07:45 PM
nzak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Dude! I just got back from flying the Avistar. What a perfect day for flying, absolutely no wind and 78 degrees. I am getting back in the hang of flying after a 12 year break. Enough about that.

I like the way a gasser sounds. Seems pretty scale to me even if it is a 2 stroke. From what I have read, which I need to brush up on again, the BME 90 is a super tigre 90 converted to gas and the super tigre 90 is supposed to be a a bored version of the 61. SO, quite small with good power. Should definitely fit inside the cowl. I have heard the RPM numbers for it too, just not sure if 15,000 is really correct. Seems a bit on the high side. I think being inverted, most engines seem to run fine as long as they get fuel. If I remember right, the Saito will have to be inverted because of the height of the carbs. It should fit inside the cowl, at least from the measurements I got and transfered to the plans. I would love to have that engine, but I am stuck on long flight time with fuel tanks in the wings. I need a pump. Was considering using a smoke pump to pump fuel, just have absolutely no knowledge of them or if that would even work. Then comes more weight, more wing loading, higher stall speed. If I am not careful, this thing may turn into the Spruce Goose!!

I have spent more time researching all the ideas that I have for this plane and a lot less time working on it. I cant go much farther til 'wing time' so I really need to get on it and figure out what I am going to do.

Nick