RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Cessna 182 build
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 02:42 PM
teookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 build

OK. Time for a photo update:

I got the Rudder and Fin built up,

Here is a tip for running wiring through the fin for a strobe light: When drilling the 3/16" holes in the center of the fin ribs, drill at the angle that the outer pushrod tube will be passing through the ribs at. I just set the ribs on a block of wood and drilled straight down, so that after they were assembled with one side of the fin sheeted, I could not slide a pushrod tube through the holes because they were to tight. The solution to this problem is to drill at an angle, or use a bigger drill bit. Since I could not get the pushrod tube to slide through the ribs, I just glued the wiring in place w/o a tube. This should work, but now I have to deal with the wire sticking out the top of the fin while I sand it to shape.

I also had a mis-hap with the rudder torque block. I forgot to put it in before I applied the sheeting! Fortunately I was able to cut a tight fitting hole and slip in in place, securing it with lots of CA. I think it should work fine.

Once the fin/rudder were "done", I got to start on the wing:

I have the center section built up minus gluing in the dowels and wing bolt plates.

I'm having a lot of fun building this and am looking forward to seeing more of it take shape!