RCU Forums - View Single Post - Senior PatternAssoc. -North East Chapter -Officially!
Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Senior PatternAssoc. -North East Chapter -Officially!

ORIGINAL: WEDJ

I wasn't too keen on the organization because it was all Southern, although I am (like most SPA members) enamoured with the pattern of the 70's
All organizations have to start somewhere, and SPA started in Georgia/Alabama/Tennessee----but it is NOT a southern club sipping "Mint Juleps",(or any other alcohol for that matter)[X(],between rounds. The main reason I wrote the first SPA/VRCS article for Model Aviation, and the upcoming second article focusing on SPA, is that I felt SPA was one of the best-kept secrets in AMA; I just wanted to get the word out. SPA wants to grow and expand, and everybody "down south" is excited about Jim's new chapter.

We have had more than a 35% increase in membership since May 2006--not just in the south, but all over. A Northwest Chapter has formed, based in Oregon, and there is a lot of interest, especially in Texas, Florida, and Arkansas. Interested folks from those areas may contact Steve Byrum at the SPA website, (www.seniorpattern.com) to find other like-minded flyers in their area.

The NorthEast chapter has perhaps the greatest potential for future growth of "simple and inexpensive" vintage pattern competition---all based on the number of pattern pilots and the population in that region.

Jim is a great guy--I had the pleasure of meeting him at our Asheville contest last September. If you are interested, come on out and see what it's all about.

Duane