RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can't drill parallel.
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Can't drill parallel.

When you need to drill holes in the trailing edge of the wing for hinges, you do basically the same thing.

I made a jig for my cordless drill. The jig holds the cordless drill exactly perpendicular to any trailing edge surface.

Layout the holes where you want the hinges.

Set the wing down on the bench. Block up the trailing edge until the center of the wing is level.

Using a cordless drill--set shims under the drill to elevate it off the work surface until the bit is centered on the trailing edge of the wing. The jig on the side of the drill keeps you drilling straight on and not off at a sideways angle.

The first pic is an end view of the drill and wing laying on the bench. The drill is shimmed with 3/32" balsa strips to get it level.

The second pic is looking from the top. The jig is a simple piece of 1" wide basswood about 8" long. I always use Robarts and they need a 3/16" hole. But, you can make the hole any size. Make 15 jigs. It's easy. I drill a hole in the basswood and epoxy in a piece of brass tubing the size of my drill bit. The bit just slips barely through the hole in the brass tubing and can't wobble around. The brass tube is epoxied into the basswood. When I slip the bit through the jig, I slide the basswood up against the trailing edge of the wing. Now I know I'm drilling a perfectly perpendicular hole into the back of the wing. The drill and wing are shimmed--so I know they are level too.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19562.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	649553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38377.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	649554