RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Blackhawk Heli... A lil bigger than T-Rex
Old 04-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Timeflyer1
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Blackhawk Heli... A lil bigger than T-Rex

Hi Chris, so glad you're part of this form now. I was grounded for about a week, because as I was hovering in the garage I happen to drift into the leg of my table saw. I just barely hit the leg with the main rotor blades, which was enough to damage the wood blades. I did buy a pair of Align 325mm wood blades locally. Had to balance them and placed them on the 450. Thank goodness the heli was fine, nothing was damaged other than the blades. Since the glitching problem, I have hovered in the garage twice now and have not seen the spin around problem as of yet. The really cool thing about this heli is the fact that I can hover anywhere from 6" to 12" off the floor and there is almost zero ground effect on the heli. Its pretty darn stable once you dial in the knobs. I think I have found the CG sweet spot pretty well. I also dialed in the hover mode pitch and can hover for about 13 minutes on one charge. After landing I measured the temp of the motor and it was 109 degrees F, which is very acceptable. When I had the pitch to low I really booged down the motor and only got 6 minutes of flying time and the motor got really hot, 146 degrees F. I think thats way to high of a temp.

I did check the belt tension and it seems fine. The servo is something I am keeping my eye on. Still not sure what caused the spin around. I may be reaching here, but I always listen to my FM radio when I'm in the garage. Is it possible that a stray FM signal from the radio could have interfered with my flight. I am not listening to my FM radio during hover anymore, just in case.

There is one thing left for me to do before I go out to the field and try basic flying in a more open area. The gyro seems to drift a bit. I haven't been able to make the gyro rock solid. I keep adjusting it a bit and it still drifts. I will just keep working with it.

Just so everyone knows, I really like this heli. Anyone who gets into this hobby should know that any heli you buy takes some tweaking and fine tuning. It really is part of the fun of this hobby to dial everything in.......

Julius