RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig four*40 kit
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig four*40 kit

Guys, an added heads up. I busted my 4* 60 in half on a hard landing. Going over old forums, it seems that that is a problem with the 4* series. Do your self a favor and re-enforce the buklhead at the end of the wing saddle and lay in some 1/4" sq bass wood or poplar along the joing between the sides and the bottom of hte fuselage in at least the first bay behind the wing. I am using 3/4" bass wood cut to tri stock and framing in that bulkhead, fore and aft.

The landing gear mount is another issue. Laminate in a 1/8" birch ply on top of the existing mount and overlap it over the bottom sheeting at least an inch or so. The langing gear mount ripped out on the same landing and the wheels raised hell with the bottom of the wings.

I'm about back together now, just a couple more glue sessions and I'll be ready to recover.

Other than this problem, the 4* is a great flying airplane. Just watch that you keep up some speed on landing, it floats so that it is tempting to try to land to slow. It don't work that way.[&o]

Don