RCU Forums - View Single Post - Guillows' Zero RC Conversion
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 08:49 AM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Guillows' Zero RC Conversion

I just found this thread from a post you made in another discussion. I don't know how I missed it the first time around, but I'm glad I read it. Very nice job! It seems that technology has finally reached the point where Guillow's kits can be built for RC successfully.
Bipe - Thanks for the kind words! I can't imagine doing this 20 years ago with full-sized servos & gear. If we could convince Guillows to do more laser cut kits vs smash cut kits I might be inclined to take on a few more of these conversions.

Well, they can be made to fly, but my 190 is not a good all around flyer. Bottom line is they don't give much warning when stall speed approaches, so trying to fly them with a throttle control is like playing Russian roulette. They represent a lot of work for what you get in return, but go ahead and build them if you enjoy that kind of challenge.
I think this is one of those "armpits & opinions" issues. I really enjoy the building process and these conversions are like a 5000 piece jigsaw puzzle of a white cow eating rice in a snow storm... Of course they're not for everyone and we all need to do what makes us happiest, within the confines of the law and local moral code, obviously...

Performance-wise, the Guillows WWII fighters probably fly a lot like the real things. That's just a guess as I've never flown a Zero, Hellcat, Corsair (maybe someday...) but my research indicates that most of these planes glided like rocks, landed like rockets, and had less than desirable stall characteristics. The Mustang in particular had a habit of dropping out of the sky in the middle of a dogfight.

I like the fact that the planes in my hanger all fly differently - some are easy and others require constant attention and control. When I want to float around mindlessly I take out the glider, when I want to practice pattern flying out comes the Cub, when I want to do aerobatics it's the DNU, when I want to scream around the sky, machine guns blazing, then I fly something else!

EG