Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Guillows' Zero RC Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Guillows' Zero RC Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 12:47 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Guillows' Zero RC Conversion

I just found this thread from a post you made in another discussion. I don't know how I missed it the first time around, but I'm glad I read it. Very nice job![8D] It seems that technology has finally reached the point where Guillow's kits can be built for RC successfully.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:09 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, they can be made to fly, but my 190 is not a good all around flyer. Sure, you can take just about any scale plane, make it light enough and it will perform OK at X level of power, but the scale tail volumes and lack of meaningful wing areas [portions of a wing with less than 4 inches of chord on a one pound model are worthless at speeds below 3/4 power] make these planes fly like you would expect.......not as well as a semi scale model done with ample wing and tail areas. Bottom line is they don't give much warning when stall speed approaches, so trying to fly them with a throttle control is like playing Russian roulette. They represent a lot of work for what you get in return, but go ahead and build them if you enjoy that kind of challenge. The best flying one I've seen in the 2 foot span kits was a Zero with tissue and dope, no sheeting [spruce stringers], 2 micro servos and a stock TD with a tank mount, no throttle. Never saw it do anything it wasn't supposed to.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:49 AM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found this thread from a post you made in another discussion. I don't know how I missed it the first time around, but I'm glad I read it. Very nice job! It seems that technology has finally reached the point where Guillow's kits can be built for RC successfully.
Bipe - Thanks for the kind words! I can't imagine doing this 20 years ago with full-sized servos & gear. If we could convince Guillows to do more laser cut kits vs smash cut kits I might be inclined to take on a few more of these conversions.

Well, they can be made to fly, but my 190 is not a good all around flyer. Bottom line is they don't give much warning when stall speed approaches, so trying to fly them with a throttle control is like playing Russian roulette. They represent a lot of work for what you get in return, but go ahead and build them if you enjoy that kind of challenge.
I think this is one of those "armpits & opinions" issues. I really enjoy the building process and these conversions are like a 5000 piece jigsaw puzzle of a white cow eating rice in a snow storm... Of course they're not for everyone and we all need to do what makes us happiest, within the confines of the law and local moral code, obviously...

Performance-wise, the Guillows WWII fighters probably fly a lot like the real things. That's just a guess as I've never flown a Zero, Hellcat, Corsair (maybe someday...) but my research indicates that most of these planes glided like rocks, landed like rockets, and had less than desirable stall characteristics. The Mustang in particular had a habit of dropping out of the sky in the middle of a dogfight.

I like the fact that the planes in my hanger all fly differently - some are easy and others require constant attention and control. When I want to float around mindlessly I take out the glider, when I want to practice pattern flying out comes the Cub, when I want to do aerobatics it's the DNU, when I want to scream around the sky, machine guns blazing, then I fly something else!

EG
Old 04-13-2007, 11:32 AM
combatpigg

I think they do fly like mini versions of the real thing, [fully fueled and bombed up]. In 1/12 scale WWII combat, 5-10% increases are allowed for the flying surfaces and those planes are good performers, still looking like the real McCoy.

I fly just 3 miles south from where Paul Allen has his P-51, P-47 and Spitfire hangared. Where I fly is directly below where those planes go into their landing patterns and their low speed performance appears to be rock solid. The pilot goofs around if there is a steady head wind, he'll slow way down and see how high he can bring up the nose before stalling. None of those planes have jump seats, or else I would probably be several hundred dollars poorer by now.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:29 PM
eroc144

Wow! Just watching those birds take off and land would be amazing. I'll have to fly at your field sometime, although it's quite a drive from Philly!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:37 PM
combatpigg

erok, It is especially amazing to see the plane [P-47] that my Dad flew over Europe, 62 years later, going out for its' weekly exercise run....and right over my head. There aren't many flying P-47s left, the P-51s are way more plentiful. If you ever make it out this way, look me up. Hope you might like to spend a day in a lawn chair with a drink holder and flying 1/2A combat 'til it's too dark to see?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:37 PM
eroc144

CP - It'd be an honor to join you in combat and lawn chairs with drink holders. I'll bring lots of ribbon 'cuz I'll probably need it! I did some consulting in Olympia 8 or 9 years ago and flew into Sea-Tac - beautiful country up there - but I don't make it up to the NW very often anymore.

Darn sham about the number of flyable WWII fighters. Wish I had the cash to help keep more of them in the air.

EG
Old 04-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul Allen's collection is great. It's nice to see someone using his wealth to preserve these aircraft.

CP, have you seen his Jenny? That thing is 85 years old and it looks like it was built yesterday - and it still flies.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:39 AM
combatpigg

Come to think of it, I saw it either last year or the year before where we fly control line [on airport property]. It is the slowest thing you ever saw and it makes a lot of noise! A lot of unburnt gas collects in the engine and misfires when the throttle is closed, it sounds nasty. I've never seen it stray too far from the airport.