RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Birth of a Backyard Track
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 06:32 PM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Birth of a Backyard Track

Well, my Mantis Electric tiller showed up yesterday!!!!! WOW!!!!! This thing is awesome......I can't wait to use it for other things around the yard as well. It's quiet, powerful and works BETTER than a big, self-propelled $800 unit!!!! I know cause I rented one last summer! It was a very nice Craftsman gas powered tiller....it did great.....but this thing kicks it's butt!

It was time to de-weed the track and make it into all dirt and NO vegetation! Assembly was done in less than 30 minutes and I was out using it right away. I did, however, pop the internal circuit breaker once.....I was over by the fence where a bunch of leaves and debris had accumulated over the winter. The soil in this area was really damp and "gooey".....and I snagged some plastic bag that was buried under the leaves. Didn't take much to remove the bag.....then I tried to reset the breaker...but, apparently, I got it warm.....it was warm that day as well and I was in direct sun light. After a 10 minute break, I was at it again. No problems after that. I hit an underground root and it bounced me onto the corrugated tubing in one spot......poked some holes in it....but nothing too bad.

I had the tines facing in "reverse....so it would really claw into the ground. I wanted to mix the soil really well and get rid of all things green. Next time, I will turn the tines the other direction(about a 2 minute changeover) to de-weed anything that tries to grow again. I love the fact I didn't need to use gas or start the thing! Just plug it in and pull the trigger!!!!! Better hang on, though.....it's tougher than you would think! Clean up was a breeze....just hosed off the tines and put it away.....all 26lbs. of it! I HIGHLY recommend one if you do any kind of gardening and/or yardwork that you have 110v power nearby. I don't see the need for gas tillers anymore! I even got the free edger attachment and kickstand with free shipping, too! Can't go wrong!

I will admit, though, the track is very SOFT now......but, I've watered it to allow it to settle.....and it's rained a few times as well. Everything is started to fall together! I've also started to "sweep" it with a shop broom to filter the rocks and sticks off of the surface. I've especially done this around the tabletop area.....as I want it to be as smooth as possible in this section. I want as much speed as possible for the jumps.....no matter what vehicle I drive!

I drove the Savage on it the other day as well for the first time! It's a little small and tight.....but the jump section is awesome! The Savage loves to fly via the tabletop! My Vendetta ST is also, surprisingly, a great flyer over this area......and this track couldn't be more perfect for 1/18th scale! I do, however, need to get some thicker shock oil.....the jumps are almost too big for 25 weight oil! My Evader Pro ST is a dream on this track!!!!! All by itself, it can manuever easily and has plenty of breathing room to roam. I could see that 4-6 1/10th vehicles would really create a "tight fit". But, would make for some interesting driving! All and all.....I am very happy with the re****s so far.

I have put approximinately $200 in this track.....that includes the 4" tubing, stakes, wood.....even the maple tree I planted! This would, however, EXclude the cost of the Electric Tiller. But, I figure I have other uses for that as well. I started on this track plan back in February......It is now the end of May.....and the track is, essentially, complete. Just some more fine tuning and other things to be done....and I will add them as they are done.

Hope you have had as much fun reading this as I have writing it....and it's not over just yet. But, the majority of the hard labor and cost is done. Next step......LIGHTING!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21173.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	693229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36065.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	693230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76242.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	249.2 KB