Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The Birth of a Backyard Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:39 AM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Birth of a Backyard Track

Hello one and all. I've had so much fun building my track that I've decided to document it for others to see. I am not the expert, but from the advice of my good buddies here on RCU, I've taken the plunge and started production on my track that will be set up in my backyard that does nothing but grow weeds....if even that. I hope this will help others that are thinking about building a track gain ideas and info about what it takes and how much time is required.

My track will see Stampedes, Rustlers, Lunchboxes, Evader ST and BX, Vendetta ST, Blackfoots(there's an oldie) and even a Savage X. The dirt will be from my parking space next to my garage, which I plan to lay rock after I've removed the dirt. Purpose for the build is for me and my kids to spend time together building, racing and bashing! I also predict that I will be the favorite "Dad" amongst my kids' friends.......and that's OK cause we plan to share the fun!

Understand that I've already started on this track.....and have been posting in another forum....but I thought others would like to see the documentation of one track building story. I will keep detailed records with pics. Enjoy and feel free to comment and advise....I am always looking for ideas.

Ob1n
Old 05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
ob1n

Default RE: The Birth of a Backyard Track

Ok....this is the "Lay of the Land" before we started. As you can see, nothing grows here that is worth watering and taking care of. I started to cut down the tree in the one pic, but eventually decided against it as my wife begged for it's life. If you look closely, you will see we began to "mark" the ground with a hoe where the lanes would be. Based on the area I have available, the minimum width will be 6' but as wide as 8' in some places.

The shape of the track is that of an "L" design with some "twists". I wanted to utilize the entire back yard....and that will be interesting as there is a well-travelled sidewalk that connects the house to the garage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74463.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	681417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85429.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	681418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30109.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	681419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25515.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	681420  
Old 05-10-2007, 11:08 AM
ob1n

The whole idea start YEARS ago....I've always wanted a track of my own(who doesn't?)! But, the plans started around February of 2007 on a warm day. You know the feeling.......when it's a nice day after the snow melts off and you're thinking it'd be nice to get the R/C out for a spin after a "long winter nap".

I was looking at my (back)yard.....thinking that nothing ever grows green and nice!!! I've always wanted a track.....so....why not?!!!! besides, I want to put rock in my parking area next to my garage.....so a perfect way to remove the dirt and prep for the rock! Now....to convince the wife.

Actually, I didn't have to work to hard at that....cause she LOVES me so much and lets me do whatever I want.....well......almost everything! She didn't have a problem with it as long as I "landscaped" it to look good. I said, "It will certain look better that it already does!!!!"

First thing I did was grabbed a 25' tape measure(I will I had a 100') and "surveyed" the land. I took approxminate measurements to get a general idea of what I had to work with. After about a half an hour of that, I eventually got around to finding the graph paper and sketched a plan. I did something fast.....just poured ideas on paper. That took about another half hour to make 5 different designs. I consulted with my kids and we picked the "winner" in less than 5 minutes. Then, I spent 1 hour that night detailing a plan with a ruler and tried to scale it to my real-life measurements. This is what I come up with......

Name:	Pn37789.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	681423  
Old 05-10-2007, 11:34 AM
buckjaw

It looks like it will be a great layout, and an excellent use of unused area. Do you just plan to run directly over the sidewalk or will you cover it with something?

Great idea using the little red wagon and having a plastic tote in it!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:34 AM
ob1n

So I've already started to mark the track.....and I've begun to think about where to get the dirt for the jumps. Originally, I was going to use the wood from the tree I was going to cut for the barriers of the track lanes. Then, I thought, bad idea!!!!! Wood is pretty hard when you crash into it.....I am mainly worried about my kids and their friends! Plus, the money that I did not use to have the tree removed....I will use it for the 4" corrugated tubing. I like the idea of the corrugated tubing because it is flexible and it will flow around corners and over the jumps/bumps.

But, since I did remove a few branches from the tree......I decided to bury the wood. That way I would need so much dirt. Kind of like a space filler. I also found some old pallets from my best friend(lives 2 houses down) to use.

As far as tools go....I have an old 2 wheel cart that came with the house when I bought it.....it was buried underneath some foilage when I found it behind the garage. I have a shovel(actually, too many). I have leaf rakes(one plastic and one metal). The kids have a hoe. I went out and bought a garden rake at ACE for 6.99 and a Garden Weasel for 29.99. I've always wanted one of these!!! And I've found it to be handy in breaking the clods of dirt. We've had quite a bit of rain lately.....so, I've been digging into very moist dirt. It's very compacted and wants to stay into big clumps. I toss it into the cart and "chop" it up with my shovel a little. Once I dump it in the required location, I used the garden rake to spread it out......then the Weasel to break any remaining clumps into fine dirt. This is what my kids and I have been doing for 2 weeks now.....we work on the track, at least, once a week.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:39 PM
ob1n

Buckjaw, thanks for your comments!!! The sidewalk was, actually, in the way of progress. But, what better way to add an obstacle to the track?!! Therefore, it will be JUMPED! However, I do not want excessive amounts of dirt "dragged" onto my sidewalk....so I think I have an idea that will help. I realize that I will still need the broom occasionally....but I just don't want to be shovelling it off all the time.

Yeah, the tote in the wagon.....that was by accident. Leave it to the kids' imagination to "create" something you never would have thought of naturally!
Old 05-10-2007, 05:55 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey looks like you have your work cut out for you, But that is all of the fun. Please keep us posted pic's lot's of pic's. Eric
Old 05-10-2007, 06:07 PM
ob1n

Here are some of the Tools of the Trade" that we've been using to get the job done.

Name:	Bz79493.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	681687  
Old 05-10-2007, 08:23 PM
buckjaw

I have found from experience, if you want to loosen some ground up fairly easy, use a garden tiller! This way you could make valley's, berme's, off camber turns, jumps and so on.

This is a great thread for me being a new guy, I am planning out a track also just for leisure, and as luck would have it we bought a farm recently and have no use yet for a 40 X 60 pole shed with a sand floor. Now I no the sand wont get along with the components too well but I got plans, big plans!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 PM
ob1n

Pole Barn!!!!!????!!!!!!!!!!!!????!!!!!! Now that makes me jealous!!!!!!! I wanna bring my ATV on my track and just tear it all up!!!![>:]

Ok.......I feel better now...........(phew)[:-]

Indoors is actually my ULTIMATE dream!!!!!!! Indoors with lighting, electricity, BATHROOM, sink, LAZYBOY reserved for ME! How does that sound? Too good to be true......but ....maybe later down the road!

By the way....YOU better post pics......AND invite me when it's done!!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:12 PM
s7jstep1

ORIGINAL: buckjaw

I have found from experience, if you want to loosen some ground up fairly easy, use a garden tiller! This way you could make valley's, berme's, off camber turns, jumps and so on.

This is a great thread for me being a new guy, I am planning out a track also just for leisure, and as luck would have it we bought a farm recently and have no use yet for a 40 X 60 pole shed with a sand floor. Now I no the sand wont get along with the components too well but I got plans, big plans!
if you want some ideas check out my "official track building thread" there are a lot of neat ideas and pictures in there. here is the link [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5120071/tm.htm[/link]
Old 05-10-2007, 09:26 PM
ob1n

Ok....so we decided to get started!!! We took some of the old pallets....cut them up.....and made a wooden ramp. We placed it by the sidewalk and started to cover with dirt. The idea of using the wood and covering with dirt was because I wanted something to screw into.....and you'll see what I mean in my next report. Plus, we don't have to use so much dirt....it acts as a space filler. Originally, the plan is to have 4 ramps near the sidewalk. Basically, you ramp one jump.....over the sidewalk.....and onto the other "down" ramp. This also makes the track bi-directional.

One thing I should mention......in the beginning.....the goal was to start and finish the track BEFORE driving on it. The reason being is so that I do not waste time driving and all my time is spent building.....it'll get done faster! IT IS FOOLISH TO DO THAT!

The urge overtook me right after we finished the first ramp(which, by the way, took about 2 hours to build the wood and bury it)! And I am GLAD it did! Because I found out something that I never would have known if I hadn't tried it! I drove the slowest, non-racer I have(Stampede....stock except for bearings and RPM carriers/bumper) and found out that it was going to be IMPOSSIBLE for a novice(my 3 kids, their friends, my friends/relatives, etc) to clear the sidewalk successfully! Because these ramps are located near curves/turns, it will bleed a lot speed....and, therefore, the vehicle will jump over the sidewalk only to NOSEDIVE into the ramp on the other side.

Since then......everytime we finish something....we test it! And it has proven my "paper" design of the track to be flawed most of the time!

So, remember, it's OK to test it before it's done......no matter what your wife/girlfriend/kids say to you.....like, "Oh....you just want to play!". NOT!!! I am ACTUALLY doing some research and development! But, hey.....they just don't understand. Truth be known....they are just jealous they aren't the ones driving!!!!LOL!!!

Anyway, we finished our first ramp....and you can see what it looks like as we started it.

More later.....

Name:	Fd91879.jpg
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	681845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64048.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	681846  
Old 05-10-2007, 09:46 PM
ob1n

Ok.....so in these pics you can see we started on the 2nd ramp. If you look close enough, you can see the wooden ramp in one of the pics.

The agreement between my wife and I was to "landscape" this track so that it looks nice. Trust me, I wanted to do this whether or not she demanded it. Plus....I wanted to minimize the dirt that was spilled/traced onto the sidewalk from the house to the garage. Since we had lots of free pallet lumber, I cut pieces and screwed them into the wooden ramp buried in the dirt. This acts as a "Dam" to keep the dirt on the track......and makes the ramp more defined.

This does, however, take some time. I spent a total of 2 hours cutting the wood and screwing it to the ramp....and making the tapered/angled "endcaps and staking them into the ground at the sides. But, I think, it was well worth it. I haven't painted the wood yet....but I think I will later. Not necessarily for protection.....cause we know it will rot from the "dirt side" out.....but just for color/detail. Any suggestion?

This also made the ramps taller....and, therefore, we needed more dirt once again. We filled it to the top of the boards and tapered it back. I've had to add more dirt as it has settled in the last couple weeks....not much....but enough that if I didn't......vehicles would start ripping them off if they ran over them.

Finally, 2 ramps down.......many more to go. More on that later.....

Name:	Nl29081.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	681856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91250.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	681857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30736.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	681858  
Old 05-10-2007, 11:41 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It hard to see what your finsh track will be like , but if you wnt to make fast work of it then go to the local rental place and rent a little bobcat. They can move on a dime and have zero turning. Just a thought. Or if you want get all of the kids around your area and put a shovel or a hoe and maybe a pitch fork in there hands and let them go to town on you yard.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:58 AM
ob1n

Actually, I have a Ford tractor with an 8' blade. But, the area is really small. As for the skid steer.....1) local rental is over an hour away 2) I have a fence around the entire thing and 3) I am trying to do this for nothing!

As for the kids.....not a bad idea.....but, they get disinterested in a hurry. I know, cause my kids help me for 10 minutes.....then find a worm in the dirt....and I never see them again. But....oh well, at least we are attempting to spend time together! So far, I've done most everything myself. But, they are starting to help out a little more....especially as it finally starts to take shape.

As for who knows what it will look like......stick around.....as I will be documenting the whole thing!!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:08 AM
ob1n

I ordered the 4" corrugated tubing last week....and it came in on Monday! Had it delivered to my house..... this stuff looks almost too BIG! But, I am sure it will be worth it in saving breakage.

I found some 12" Nails to stake them to the ground with. I haven't decided if I will dig a "channel" to lay this into or just lay it on top of the ground?! Again.....it just seems so big. Having it fit in a channel dug in the ground would help hold it in place when hit and make it appear smaller. I bought 2 rolls @ 100' each. I am sure it will be enough for the basics and hopefully, perhaps, the whole thing?! I am using my fence as a track barrier.....but it does have a concrete base(ouch). If I have enough, I'll place it along the fence as well. I guess time will tell.

I bought 20 stakes to get me started.....hoping that should be enough to do the entire track.

Next report......the beginning of the deadly doubles and tabletop!

Name:	Pn36954.jpg
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	681975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46038.jpg
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	681976  
Old 05-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Racefan132

how much $ was all of that tubing? I made a small 1/10 scale figure 8 last year and i could only line it with half barried bricks. Now it is back to all grass. It was too small for my Ofna MBX. The pics are from the early stages from the project. pefore we disasembled it there where bigger birms and a 100% dirt jump. I am looking to make another 1/8 scale track but i need some help.

Name:	Jh14520.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	682017  
Old 05-11-2007, 08:40 AM
ob1n

$50 per 100' roll. And the 12" nails worked out to be about $.60 a piece. Keep at it.....it'll happen. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:09 AM
bte214

I think you should keep the whole pipe exposed. If you half-bury it then any of the 1/10th cars will just roll over it at speed. If you leave it exposed there will be more to stop it just incase.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:22 AM
ob1n

Good point, 214.....I'll look at that when I get ready to stake it down. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:53 AM
cybergod

ob1n, I hope your neighbours are into R/C or they will probably not be too happy.....
Old 05-12-2007, 10:25 AM
ob1n

Forgive me if I sound "American"....but, I don't really care if they are happy or not. However, we do get along very well(neighbors and I). In fact, they'll probably want to drive on it when we get it done.

I admit, the house next door is a rental....so who knows how long they'll be around....and the next neighbors will have to tolerate as well when they move in.....and if the next renters have kids.....lol.....surely they will tell their parents this is the perfect house!

In fact, if anything.....that neighbor has a little "yippy" dog........ALWAYS yippin!!!!!! That's my pet peeve!!!!!!!! No pun intended.....so if I tolerate that.....they'll tolerate the sounds of electric/gear whine and chassis slap with an occasional Nitro blasts!!!!!

Old 05-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Gex_61

ORIGINAL: ob1n

In fact, if anything.....that neighbor has a little "yippy" dog........ALWAYS yippin!!!!!! That's my pet peeve!!!!!!!! No pun intended.....so if I tolerate that.....they'll tolerate the sounds of electric/gear whine and chassis slap with an occasional Nitro blasts!!!!!
The neighbor behind my track has a little dog like that. I'm out there all the time and he still barks at me. The neighbor to the right of my track has 3 large dogs who are probably trained to kill. They used to bark at me but they are used to it now. They only bark sometimes if I walk over by the fence.

ob1n, where is your drivers stand going to be? It doesn't look like you can see all of the track from the patio. You may need a small space across from it.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:48 PM
123michael

have you finished it yet?what more have you done.yes in in uk ,lol
Old 05-12-2007, 05:00 PM
ob1n

GeX......as far as my drivers stand.....I have the REAL thing(pic below)......it was when I was going to put a big track at my father's shop......then, without warning......he sold it. Since I spent all that time building the stand, I kept it.

Unfortunately, it will not work for it's purpose in my backyard because of it's location(it has become the kids' tree house). My plans are to put the swing lounger in a spot that would allow you to see the entire track. It will located in the apex of the "L" design of the track. You'll see when I get done.

When my dog passes away.....I plan to use her spot(where her pen is) to place the "real" driver's stand. Unless, of course, I've found a place to put a much larger track that will utilize it.

Looks like it's time for another "lesson".....as 123michael has pointed out......

Name:	Wu60301.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	683031  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.