RCU Forums - View Single Post - H9 80" Cap or GP PW Extra??
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2003, 02:54 AM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snappy Caps? Nooooooo.

Actually, I think most modern Caps are pretty well behaved, unless you get the the CG too far back or unless they are built too heavy, or the control surfaces are set to deflect too much, or a combination of these things. You can set up an Extra to be too snappy under the same conditions, as well. My 1/3 H9 Cap lands like a baby. A lot of the guys who give the Cap a bad rap haven't even flown one, or had the displeasure of flying one set up wrong. A lot of it also comes from horror stories told by flyers who remember the old Cap 20's and 21's. Now these planes had some real nasty habits, especially if slowed too much on landing, or if you pushed them a litle too hard (too much elevator throw).
The new Caps, though, starting with the Cap 231EX, borrowed the Extra wing, which turned it into a much more well-behaved, civilized machine. The main point is, the Cap is a good flying plane, so don't let the talk scare you away from owning a really nice airplane. Other than that, just decide which one you like more, and if you can live with transporting an 80" one-piece wing. Have fun, that's what it's all about.