Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 80" Cap or GP PW Extra??

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 80" Cap or GP PW Extra??

Old 03-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Stargazer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 80" Cap or GP PW Extra??

Been doin alot of searches, there is a bunch of you guys flying the Extra - why has'nt the Cap caught on?? Any way I am trying to decide which of these two birds to get, could anybody do a comparison of the characteristics of these? Is the CAP less stable? I would think not as it should be lighter and it has more wing area - but I've read about the CAP can do some unwanted snaps on you - Not this one but some of the other models out there. I havent ever flown an Extra or a CAP - My h9 Edge is the biggest and most aerobatic bird I own - also what are the take off and landing characteristics? From what I can gather you guys say that these bigger birds "land like trainers" what can I really expect? Any opinions on the best choice between these for my next bird? Thanks in advance
Old 03-08-2003, 05:32 PM
funfly2005

Well I have read alot of threads were people got both of them and their saying the Cap is a whole lot better quality than the extra. They say the the Cap is better for 3D and the Extra is better for IMAC. Ohh and people are saying that the Cap comes out a pound lighter than the extra. I think the reason the Cap hasn't come on yet is because of that one piece wing.

I just picked up a H9 80" Cap and it is one of the best looking airplanes that I have ever seen.

I flew a friends extra and it seemed to fly great although it was 16lbs 10oz with a bme 50.

Well I hope this helps a little bit.

Jim
Old 03-08-2003, 05:47 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I think that the 80" Cap hasn't caught on like the GP Extra because of the price difference. The GP has been selling for under $400 since day 1, while the Cap was near $500 until H9 dropped the price a couple of weeks ago.

I have a Cap on order from Chief, and will be powering it with a ZDZ 40. I haven't received it yet, so I can't comment as to its quality. Seems like the folks that have them like them, though.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

First let me say I hate the look of a CAP. Second, the H9 Alitalia is the only color scheme that made me look at a CAP before I purchased a PW Extra. I guess I am glad that the price wasn't $390 then or I would have owned one!
Old 03-08-2003, 07:54 PM
BigBirdFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Most people that I know that fly caps ( Both sport and IMAC) say the Extra is a much more stable plane. The Caps have a tendency to snap when you slow them down. They are better at 3D than an Extra. THe Extra is better at precision flying.
MY recommendation would be the GP Extra or The Wold Models Extra with a ZDZ 50 or equivalent.
I have the WM Extra with the ZDZ. I have heard both planes fly good.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:32 PM
FLY V/STOL
My Feedback: (7)

I have both of these planes and I can tell you that there is no comparison in the quality of the two. My H9 Cap came out of the box absolutely flawless! The overall quality and fit and finish of the Cap is unbeleiveable. I had not one bubble or ding, the cowling is not only perfectly matched to the ultracote color scheme but is twice as thick as the GP Wagstaff cowl! The quality of wood is also superior on the Cap. The sheeting on my extra's wing was very thin, and easy to punch through. You can pick up a Cap wing section at the tip with no damage. The graphics were also flawless, and they are vinyl and individual, no clear backing here! I think the two downsides to the cap are the one piece wing and no hardware, although I replaced all the hardware in my GP Wagstaff, so its really a non-issue. I will say that I liked the lines of the Extra better out of the box but the quality of the Cap and the beautiful finish has made it my favorite. As far as flying, what funfly said is also what I have heard, but I know alot of people say that if they had to pick one, it would be the Cap. Bottom line pick the one you like best.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Stargazer

Kabar, Have you flown your CAP Yet? What motor ? Does it snap if you slow it down? Landing?
Old 03-10-2003, 02:54 AM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

Default Snappy Caps? Nooooooo.

Actually, I think most modern Caps are pretty well behaved, unless you get the the CG too far back or unless they are built too heavy, or the control surfaces are set to deflect too much, or a combination of these things. You can set up an Extra to be too snappy under the same conditions, as well. My 1/3 H9 Cap lands like a baby. A lot of the guys who give the Cap a bad rap haven't even flown one, or had the displeasure of flying one set up wrong. A lot of it also comes from horror stories told by flyers who remember the old Cap 20's and 21's. Now these planes had some real nasty habits, especially if slowed too much on landing, or if you pushed them a litle too hard (too much elevator throw).
The new Caps, though, starting with the Cap 231EX, borrowed the Extra wing, which turned it into a much more well-behaved, civilized machine. The main point is, the Cap is a good flying plane, so don't let the talk scare you away from owning a really nice airplane. Other than that, just decide which one you like more, and if you can live with transporting an 80" one-piece wing. Have fun, that's what it's all about.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:05 AM
funfly2005

I totally agree with kabarAV8. My Cap is flawless and I would of replaced all of the hardware anyway.

Ohh BTW,

You can get the Cap for 339 dollars after the 50 dollar gift certificate and free shipping at chief aircraft.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:44 AM
FLY V/STOL
My Feedback: (7)

ASAT,
My Cap has a moki 2.1 on it and it balanced nicely per the instructions. Have not got to fly mine yet probably next weekend, but as mentioned earlier, the airplane is very light and I think it has almost 100 sq.in. more wing area than the GP extra. BTW I can get my extra to snap slow in-close with a little heavy handed elevator, so no plane is immune. As long as you fly it them like aerobatic planes and not some profile fun-fly you wont get into trouble!
Old 03-10-2003, 03:50 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Originally posted by funfly2005
I totally agree with kabarAV8. My Cap is flawless and I would of replaced all of the hardware anyway.

I picked up a pair of the 72" H9 Caps back when they were being closed out. I wanted to use a ZDZ 40 on it, and spent a bunch of time researching the required beefups I'd need to do to the airframe in order to suport such a large engine.

Just imagine my surprise when I realized that *all* the aftermarket hardware I'd assembled for the smaller bird was on H9's recommended list for the 80-incher?

You can get the Cap for 339 dollars after the 50 dollar gift certificate and free shipping at chief aircraft.
That's where mine is coming from

I'm still debating engines. I have the ZDZ 40 on hand already - the folks at Chief have built up one of these Caps and are using the same powerplant. They say it should work well, but they haven't flown it yet
Old 03-10-2003, 04:56 AM
Stargazer

I also have a ZDZ 40 waiting for a home, but I think I'm going to send it back to RCS and upgrade to a 50 and get the CAP - I think the 40 would do OK - but I live and fly at about 4200 ft so we need a few more cubes to get the same power levels out of our motors. I really like the design of the CAP and if it's as good as you guy's are reporting it to be it sounds like a winner. I usually change out the supplied hardware in the ARF's I build too - but the spinner would have been nice to have... that's gonna be another 30 - 80 dollars. I'll look into that deal at Chief too - Maybe get a free spinner out of it ???
Old 03-10-2003, 03:04 PM
csintexas

People are still wining contests with CAPs so there is not a big tracking difference. Last year in my IMAC region the basic class was won by a H9 72" CAP and I believe the Sportsman was won by a Carden CAP. Like someone said before most problems are from to much elevator throw. neither the CAP or Extra are as stable as an Edge both will snap out of a tight loop in my experience. The CAP tends to blank out the tail before it snaps

Also to most of us average pilots they will be about the same at 3d -I think the CAP has a bit nicer snap.

Just pick which one you like the best.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:00 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Look at last years TOC flyers. as I remember 1 cap and 80% extra's.
Nuff said
Old 03-10-2003, 05:20 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TOC

Originally posted by smallfly
Look at last years TOC flyers. as I remember 1 cap and 80% extra's.
Nuff said
So if you're planning on competing in the TOC in the near future, you'd better get an Extra! No wait... Chip hyde won it with an Ultimate bipe and Quiqui finished in the top few with a Yak!

Never mind.

Jim
Old 03-10-2003, 05:40 PM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

Don't forget the other Ultimates, there was more than one... (lol...)

80% huh??

Now after saying that, I went out and bought a DP Extra...

hmmm, like the pot calling the kettle black?
Old 03-10-2003, 05:59 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Fact is most top flyers prefer the extra, look at the unlimited Imac planes. Who won TOC makes no difference because any of them could have under the right circumstances. The high stab on the cap makes it, well snapier not necessarily bad just depends on what you want, and as far as extras not 3ding as good, well maybe you should watch the toc video and yes 80% is a pure guess but there were quite a few. This thread being sidetracked as it is is about wether the flier can handle the cap or the extra. If he already has the edge he can fly either, one will be a more precise plane that can do most 3d well, (gp extra). I have one, Im sure the cap is a great flying plane I have not flown one. My only comparison is a MW cap I owned and the gp extra flies light years better than it. After all the bellowing IMO if you want a tumbler that may require a bit more attention to air speed get a cap. If you want exact snap capability and smoothness along with somepretty good tumbling get the extra. Just my opinion
Old 03-10-2003, 06:05 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by funfly2005

Ohh BTW,

Will they let you use that $50.00 at the time you purchase the plane????
Old 03-10-2003, 06:21 PM
pequeajim

Originally posted by smallfly
FaThis thread being sidetracked as it is is about wether the flier can handle the cap or the extra.
Chill out dude... just having a little fun with ya. You left yourself so open for that, I guess we just couldn't resist, no offense intended.

As for the thread being sidetracked, his original question subject title was a comparison between the H9 80" Cap or GP PW Extra, not who is flying what 40%+ at the TOC. Although he added some questions in general about the Cap and Extra flying capabilities.

Listen, I ended up selling my 33% H9 Cap to go a little smaller and bought a DP Extra, so I don't necessarly dissagree with you, I just couldn't resist. just funnin'
Old 03-10-2003, 06:23 PM
pequeajim

Originally posted by P-51B

Will they let you use that $50.00 at the time you purchase the plane????
That's a good question. I would be suprised if they let you apply it to the plane cost, but if not, you have to buy hardware for the Cap anyway, so just apply the 50 bucks to the hardware that you are purchasing.

(I guess you can do that...)
Old 03-10-2003, 08:09 PM
AeroDave

I have both planes and really like them both. My CAP slows down beautifully for landing, harriers or whatever. I don't think this cap is going to give anyone tip stalling problems. I have full 3D throws on mine and find no nasty habits hidden in the use of elevator. The quality of the H9 Cap in terms of construction is much better than the GP extra. Still, I'm glad I have both. They're both really fun to fly.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:53 PM
csintexas

Yes, I think you can use the $50 rebate at the time of purchase on the plane.

I wouldn't pay much attention to what the TOC pilots are flying this or any year. Any of them could win with any good plane -what they fly has more to do with whats popular or what they like or what the sponsors provide more than how it flies. The Extra is in this year who knows what will be hot next year.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:41 AM
funfly2005

I agree totally.

What are some of the finished wieghts of these two planes?