RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tip on reversed controls
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2002, 08:59 AM
mefly2
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip on reversed controls

My nephew announced his interest in R/C planes the other day, so while I was at work this week I thought about when I was trying to learn (and still am learning) and some of the problems I had. Something that I had a terrible time and still have to think about was when the plane was flying toward me and the controls being backward. This is something that I think a lot of people have problems with.

So today, with that in mind, I had him come over to my place and I pulled my Wal-mart special monster truck off the shelf and charged the battery, then we headed for the backyard. I had him drive the truck straight out from himself about 50' and then straight back. He had little trouble with that task so I placed a few obsticles for him to steer around as he drove the course. Yep, just as I thought, he'd turn to the left and the truck would go to his right, just like an airplane does when it's flying towards you. After a small temper-tantrum I explained to him what was happening and told him to keep trying, and soon he was flying around the 'track' wide open.

I wanted to post this because I believe a lot of flyers could benifit from practicing with a R/C car or truck. It would't have to be a real expensive one, just so it turns both ways. I know one thing, I'll be out driving my little truck around tomorrow, as it's forcast to be windy. Maybe someday I'll be turning without having to think about it. Another good point is that a person can practice without putting thier plane in jeapardy.

-Bob