Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tip on reversed controls

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tip on reversed controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 08:59 AM
mefly2
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip on reversed controls

My nephew announced his interest in R/C planes the other day, so while I was at work this week I thought about when I was trying to learn (and still am learning) and some of the problems I had. Something that I had a terrible time and still have to think about was when the plane was flying toward me and the controls being backward. This is something that I think a lot of people have problems with.

So today, with that in mind, I had him come over to my place and I pulled my Wal-mart special monster truck off the shelf and charged the battery, then we headed for the backyard. I had him drive the truck straight out from himself about 50' and then straight back. He had little trouble with that task so I placed a few obsticles for him to steer around as he drove the course. Yep, just as I thought, he'd turn to the left and the truck would go to his right, just like an airplane does when it's flying towards you. After a small temper-tantrum I explained to him what was happening and told him to keep trying, and soon he was flying around the 'track' wide open.

I wanted to post this because I believe a lot of flyers could benifit from practicing with a R/C car or truck. It would't have to be a real expensive one, just so it turns both ways. I know one thing, I'll be out driving my little truck around tomorrow, as it's forcast to be windy. Maybe someday I'll be turning without having to think about it. Another good point is that a person can practice without putting thier plane in jeapardy.

-Bob
Old 02-23-2002, 02:16 PM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Bob
Sounds like a good idea. I will tell my students that have trouble with control reversal to kind of turn there back to the plane and fly over their shoulder. This usually helps smooth over the early control reversal problems. As they get the hang of that I will have them start facing the runway as they should. I will also tell them to visualize sitting in the cockpit Left is always left and right is always right when sitting there.

DEG
Old 02-23-2002, 03:36 PM
BalsaOvercast
My Feedback: (16)

When I was first learning to fly, I had the same problem. OoPS! Wrong aileron! An oldtimer at the field told me one simple thing, and I've never forgotten it...

"When the plane is flying towards you, always point the aileron stick at the down wing."

This assumes you're pointed toward the plane, and facing it. It always seemed to work for me. Hope this helps...
Old 02-23-2002, 04:52 PM
pileit1

Another variation of the "turn and look over your shoulder" idea is just to turn the RADIO to point in the general direction the plane is pointed while not actually turning your body.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:38 PM
greg-RCU

Default Learning

The Toy RC truck practice is exactly what I did too. Worked real well. Even with the truck I kept thinking to myself "lift the down wing" instead or "right - left". Imagined the truck with little wings and some suspension rolling

If you're gonna by a truck for the kids so you can get this kind of practice yourself just remember to talk into the one with steering wheels rather than the one with 2 motor controlers and bulldozer type control. That wouldn't work at all. Unless your setting up a flying wing with one elevon on each stick - I've heard of people doing that.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:24 PM
Chris300s
My Feedback: (1)

When I was teaching my brother to fly he was having a hard time with the rudder. Since no one else was out that day we took the wing off of his trainer and I had him "drive" it around for a full tank on the ground. I told him to "line it up like a takeoff. Now try some figure eights centered on the middle of the field. Now weave the pilots stations." (I was safely behind the fence smoking a cigarette). It took forever to burn through that tank of fuel. The saving grace was that even at full throttle it wasn't going to lift off.
We put the wing back on and the difference was night and day. He didn't nose it over on taxi, but confidently taxied out to the center of the field. His take off roll was straight as an arrow and he'd become so used to using the left stick that he was carrying rudder in all of his turns. I do this any time I have the chance when I'm instructing now.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:46 PM
highflyer353535
My Feedback: (3)

Default hi

hi.. balsaovercast... i also was told that key term by an oldtimer.. cause i also had a problem with that.. now it just happens .. stick the down wing worked for me happy flyin