RCU Forums - View Single Post - Park Pilots - Do you Fly Alone or with A Group?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Park Pilots - Do you Fly Alone or with A Group?

schuh007, We may have to communicate only on the thread. Some unusual things may be happening with my e-mail again.

Flew this morning in the rain to check out my equipment and techniques under such flying conditions. One thing I will not try again under somewhat turbulent conditions is to attempt a motor start after a hand launch. Under good conditions where I am not wearing a restrictive poncho such a trick is relatively easy - but not today.

After the embarrassing crash on take off I checked the plane out and found no serious problems, test glided it once, and then put up a confidence building flight. The rain got so heavy that I wished that I had some windshield wipers on my glasses. I could hardly see the plane at times. Now that I know that it can be done I will probably pass on any future rainy weather flying except, of course, for any irresistible modeling promoting demo work.

I already knew that the under cambered wing version of the AB flys well in the rain but I had to test to be sure that my simi symmetical wing version would also do the job. The plastic bag with a hole in the top for the transmitter antenna and the plastic covering around the airplane receiver works really great. At this point I do not intend to attempt any R/C aerobatics in the rain - It is not fun to fly a plane that I can not see clearly unless it is a control-line aerobatics airplane that can be flown by feel.

The rain is supposed to clear up so I plan to be out at my "Pen flying sites" later on today after I take care of some chores. The airport report said the wind was 21 as of around noon - should be some great thermals out there.

Looking forward to the wild blue yonder (well, maybe mostly gray today).

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete, truth is triumphing - there is no escape.