RCU Forums - View Single Post - new engine
Thread: new engine
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: new engine

Don't pay attention to quoted hp and torque figures, they are utterly meaningless. A good on-road engine (even more important than an off road in this respect) is defined by how the powerband is delivered. The difference between a cheap and expensive racing engine is how much power they still develop at high rpm. Fine, one engine may generate 1.8hp at 30,000 rpm (so that's the figure the manufacturer will quote), but deliver only 0.5hp at 40,000 rpm. Better to have an engine that generates only 1.5 hp at 30,000rpm (still enough), and still be generating 1hp at 40,000. The manufacturer of engine number one would be able to quote the higher horsepower, but engine number two is much more useful for racing and is the 'faster' engine.

Get any decent competition .12, RB Matrix, Sirio turbo 3 port, etc. etc. When tuned properly, they are all incredible engines. My Matrix is too much for me when tuned as lean as it can go (and still run safely), it has more power than I need on a track, I detune it 1/8th of a turn so that I can avoid leaving the track every time I stab the throttle. See what I'm saying?