RCU Forums - View Single Post - cost per flight hour vs. glow
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Kolsso12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cost per flight hour vs. glow

I believe it is hard to make a calculation on cost difference between electric and glow.

You need to by a lighter plane and more exclusive parts to an electric F3A-plane to become below 5 kilogram. That will cost a lot off money compare to a glow version. If you are at the limit 5 kilogram (who is more common on electrical planes) it will be hard to make reparation.

An electric plane will last longer. You will have less reparation. You will not get any oil in to your car. You will get less emergency landing with an electrical F3A-plane.

A glow engine will not last for ever. You do need to refit parts who has been worn-out. Same thing with the soft mount.

If you fly more than 200 flights/ year and always save 25 to 20 % of the battery energy after flight. The battery cost and the foul cost will be almost the same. Maybe the battery will bee cheaper.

I have one electrical 2 meters F3A-plane and two with YS. I think the biggest difference is the flying style between electrical and glow. My electrical has more power upwards but les speed. It is much easier to fly slowly with the electrical and it is easier to fly in windy condition with my YS.

I believe gasoline engine is the most cost-effective. But it is probably a rezone way the best F3A-pilots don’t has gasoline engines.