RCU Forums - View Single Post - cost per flight hour vs. glow
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 05:30 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cost per flight hour vs. glow

What a potential storm this thread is

Nope you can't compare the 2. Do what you want, and don't listen to which is better. Decide which is better for YOU.

The beauty is that pattern guys will torture test stuff and push it to it's limit. If it has a weakness, we'll expose it in short order.

Electrics don't have to cost an arm and a leg. We're testing a motor right now that cost about $65.00 and you just wouldn't believe it. it's just about on par with the AXI F3A, only 100 rpms difference, 2 amps and 100 watts. Temp is very low, it's very smooth and quiet, powerful, and weighs about 1.5 ounces less than the AXI. Good quality bearings too. Time will tell how well it holds up, but it was in Emory's plane last weekend at the Huntsville contest. My guess is nobody that didn't know better had a clue he was running a motor that cheap. And that's just one of many. Electrics are about to bust wide open boys, say goodbye to $1000 motors and controllers.

Batteries: Well, they are still up there, but getting MUCH better. I'm totally sold on the Vampower stuff myself. It's less expensive, POWERFUL and so far, very reliable.

So I don't think you can use cost as a large consideration anymore...or at least, not for long.

Still the packs do cost a good bit and you have to give them some special care and attention. Many I know (myself included) like to make a LOT of flights at the field when the opportunity exists. It can still be done with electrics, but it requires either more planning or more packs overall.

Still, I love my YS. Uber powerful, ready to go as long as you have fuel, and so far the only time mine has been back to the shop has been the one time it plowed in with a lost plane. That's it. (Now watch, I'll show up at the next contest and dead stick LOL). I didn't like the YS engines before the DZ 160, because my experiences were similar. I wouldn't touch YS until the 160. Now I really like it.

Bottom line, figure out which one you can work with best and make the jump. Both have a long list of pros and cons, just pick one and roll with it [8D]

or, do both!!

-Mike