RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is a Heat Gun really needed ?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 AM
dignlivn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is a Heat Gun really needed ?

ORIGINAL: GAP-RCU

Bob,

In the long run, as others mentioned above, a heat gun is a great tool to have in the shop. I've used mine for all sorts of things.

Personally, I prefer not to use one for covering. I especially wouldn't use one on the wings of the model you have pictured in your original post.

To help prevent warps of an open frame structure, I attach/iron the edges of the covering down as per standard covering practices. Then I gradually tighten the covering with the iron. I set the iron's temperature so that is will slightly shrink the covering, then alternate between the top and the bottom of the wing to tighten both sides evenly. Then I bump the temperature up a bit (~20 degrees) and go back over the wing again. I repeat this several times until I'm happy with the finish.

All said, you could certainly do the same as I do with a heat gun, and many modelers do so very sucessfully. I still like using the iron, though, because it gives me exact control over the shrinking AND I can guarantee that the covering is properly adhered to each rib and stringer.

Good luck, Gary

PS. I have family in Cullowhee - do you know any retired professors from WCU? Perhaps you're one too?

Gary

LOL, No i'm just a retired Blue collar guy, my wife has 2 degrees from WCU
and wants that PHD.

Thanks for all the input, I guess i'll put a heat gun in my shop, if
for nothing else, it will re- heat a cup of coffee lol.

Bob